URGENT - NEED SOW HELP

WindyOaksYokes

Songster
12 Years
Jul 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Hi all, kids just came into the house... one of our pigs is down, breathing really heavy, almost like a panting, says that her nipples are enlarging, we are thinking maybe she is having little ones, but I dont know because she has shown no sighns of being pregnant... what else could it be??? Any ideas or suggestions??? I am going down there in a few to check on her, just wanted to get some info before I did.... she is out of the heat (undercover) and has plenty of water

Thanks in advance... Tes

Yes she was with a male, we killed him back in July because we though he was shooting blanks... just our luck huh??? after 2 years of waiting with nothing, I think anyone else would have done the same thing. Well, thanks for the input... need to get down there and check on her....

Do we need to worry about the other sow attacking the babies if infact that is whats happening???

Okay a little more information, I just went down to check on her, she is laying flat on her belly, could not see the teats, she wont move, if you try to make her move, she pants heavy (so leaving her alone) I have called DH to come home... I personally do not deal with the piggies, they are DH and the boys thing... I deal with the chickens, ducks, and turkeys... LOL...

oh yah, and charlotte the other sow is being very protective of sally (the one that is down), does that mean anything?

I will post an update after DH gets home, but in the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions, I will take anything I can get...

Thanks in advance....

One way to tell if she is in labour is by the tone of the muscles in the back area. They will be very squishy as they are relaxing, also she may have visiable contraction. Usually pigs will make a "nest", do it look like she has made one. Ours would always make a very nice nest out of hay or straw. Good luck.

Was she with a male?

Yes, we had her with a boar, we thought he was shooting blanks since we hadnt had any piglets in 2 years and put him down in July... now doesnt that just take the cake... arggg... cant win for losin.

One way to tell if she is in labour is by the tone of the muscles in the back area. They will be very squishy as they are relaxing, also she may have visiable contraction. Usually pigs will make a "nest", do it look like she has made one. Ours would always make a very nice nest out of hay or straw. Good luck.

Well, since we are unable to go anywhere near her, I am unable to tell about the contractions... Charlotte will not let us get near Sally to find out. Where she decided to lay their is no hay, but getting some in there tomorrow, going to go get some. (ran out just the other day... still have to do the fields) But, where she is laying... she burrowed herslf a nice whole that she lays in very well... tonight when she was checked on, she was laying on her side. We are going to get up early and go down to see what we can see, and try to help if needed... need to get charlotte away from her... but I dont know how because she is very protective. I hope that she does not hurt the little ones if they are born tonight...

LOL I loved piglets up until a month or so ago...
barnie.gif
:thun don't get me started on that subject please.....

Well, thanks for the help and especially the link... very useful!!! I need to know what to do LOL... incase I am home alone again LOL....
But thanks for all the information... if anyone else has any informaiton, advice, whatever.... please feel free to put it on here.... because incase piglets is not the issue... I am going to have to find out what is wrong with her....

Have a great night all....​

LOL I loved piglets up until a month or so ago... barnie thun don't get me started on that subject please.....

Now you know your going to have to elaborate...lol Hope it's babies and nothing more serious.​

All I will say is that I am 30+ chicks and at least 10+ layers lighter..... :thun , understand??? Nope, not a good subject at all... I told DH if I loose one more of anything I have, I WILL have me another pig roast and bon fire... we did it on 4th of July and had one heck of a party...
wink.png

Ah... I had a pig like that. never bothered the chickens while he was out running around, but if they flew into his pen...well let's just say they never came out of their own free will.

Back
Top Bottom