Urgent: out of chick starter, substitute needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by amk3000, Jun 12, 2009.

1. amk3000

amk3000 In the Brooder

May 6, 2009
    NE PA
    Hi,
    We accidentally ran out of chick starter crumbles, and we won't be able to get more until Monday.
    The chicks (RIR and BO) are six weeks old. They have been fed only the crumbles and water, and a few worms.
    Could someone suggest something in the house that would be suitable for them to last until Monday?
    Thanks a lot.

2. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    had the same problem last weekend! do you have any cherrio's? yo could mash those, I gave mine ground down oatmeal (blender) mixed it with plain yogurt, and banana's. They'll eat all kids of stuff... I also mixed some bread & cooked corn & bananas

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    you could even give them a little cat food too.[​IMG]

4. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Songster

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    At 6 weeks old they can eat all kinds of stuff.
    Google snacks for chickens and see what comes up.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Eggs or cooked runny oatmeal till Monday. You can also cook grits for them, plain yogurt, canned corn (though it's really alot of salt).

6. calgal98

calgal98 Songster

You can add come cornmeal too. Any of the grains that you can get from the grocery, just grind them or buy ground. If unground be sure to give grit. I would shop the bulk bins at the grocery.

7. erthymom2

erthymom2 Songster

May 23, 2008
    cooked rice, oatmeal, plain yougert, ground up cat food, cornmeal (NOT biscuit redi-mix, but real cornmeal)
    they will be ok with any of these for the weekend. lots of fresh clean water too.

8. Had the same thing happen to me when my chicks were about a week old or so....I asked here on BYC and got all sorts of great answers ! [​IMG]
    Scrambled eggs saved the day for me ...along with a big bowl of oatmeal !! They sure didnt starve before I got to the feed store on Monday morning !! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: