URGENT Peahen Illness.

animalloverabh

Allons-y, Alonso
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
The wonderful countryside, UK
Hi guys,

I am really worried about my IB Peahen. She is sitting in her shed with her head back as though she was sleeping and when my Dad walked up to her, (she would normally run away) she just opened her eyes and stayed still. I am hoping she will be okay, we all really love her. Do you guys know what's wrong with her or how to help?
hmm.png
Do you think it is because the temperature?

Thanks.
smile.png

Last edited:
hugs.gif
I can just give ya a hug and hope she gets better soon.
I know what you are going threw,
I lost one last night, no sign of illness or injury when i did an autopsy this morning, i have one more thing to check and hope it answers my question as to why he died.

Thanks.
Any changes in your hen?

it might help if you put her diet,deworming times if any, how old she is,how long you have had her, so when someone who knows more about Peafowl illness will have more info to go on, it will help get answers faster.Some folks ask these questions some don't but it saves posting back and forth and waisting the hens time because they sure go fast.
Just trying to help ya
hugs.gif

Thank you! No changes that I have heard of :(

She is an unkown age, she just wandered into our coop one day, but she hasn't laid since we have had her. She lives in a pen with other peafowl who are all okay health wise. Im not there at the moment, as she Is at my Dad's place, so i dont know any updates until I ring my Dad/He rings me.... Shes lived with us for about 4 years now..

Last edited:
I had a peahen that did that one time. I felt her and she was thin and she was lying there and let me get up close. We got some safeguard liquid for goats and caught her in a net and I held her still while my mom opened up her mouth and squirted the safeguard down her throat. She is still alive today. This was about a year ago...

Here is a great article that helped us with squirting the liquid down her throat. Make sure it doesn't go down the wrong way.
http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm

Hopefully that will work. All I can say is I had a similar situation and that is what worked for me. I really hope she recovers.
wink.png

Worming would be a good first step as Minx stated (Safeguard). Check for any respiratory distress or obstruction. If so then treat accordingly by removing the obstruction or treating with Tylan or another suitable antibiotic. Make sure that the feed you are giving her is adequate. If she is living on 16% Chicken feed, it may not be good for year round feeding. You want to bump the protein through higher feed % protein or supplement with cat food or other foodstuffs. So worm the bird, check for infections, and make sure she has good feed. If she is really stressed, seclude her in a warm area with fresh food/water. You have other peas so you may know all this
smile.png
Also if there are a lot of birds make sure she is not last in the food pecking order. She could be getting chased from the food and slowly getting exhausted without it being noticable. More than one food bowl could help. With luck she may bounce back.

Back
Top Bottom