URGENT PLEASE HELP!! Chicks Haven't Hatched Yet! Day 24!

chickeneer1-1

Chirping
Feb 17, 2021
Hi Everyone!
I recently candled my eggs again and saw movement! They still haven't hatched it's day 24, the temperature is at 100 F and humidity is at 60%, there are no pips yet. Some of the eggs' air membrane isn't there anymore the egg is full with the chick I guess. Should I try opening it? Any tips on what to do would really help, its my first time incubating. I can't see any air sac either.

Last edited:
No longer seeing the air cell is a good sign but no pips at day 25 isn't.
You are sure you set the eggs on September 29?
How are you measuring/verifying the temperature?
Were the eggs fresh? (under 10 days old)
At 100F throughout, I would expect most of the eggs to hatch about 12 hours early.
If the eggs were fresh and they are still alive, my guess is that the temperature has been about 97-98 throughout.

No longer seeing the air cell is a good sign but no pips at day 25 isn't
No they were under the hen on Sep 29th till Oct 9th, I brought them in because they kept leaving the eggs unoccupied at night and put them in the incubator I made.
I'm using a thermometer/hydrometer in one from home depot it works really good I just bought it on October 8th
Yes they were, I brought them in on the 8th or 9th day of being under the hens.
At 100F throughout, I would expect most of the eggs to hatch about 12 hours early.
If the eggs were fresh and they are still alive, my guess is that the temperature has been about 97-98 throughout.
Yes the temperature was a bit low in the beginning, around 96 degrees sometimes 97 at the most but now I managed to raise it too 100 degrees.

No longer seeing the air cell is a good sign but no pips at day 25 isn't.
and im on day 24 i wrote it in wrong sorry. what should i do??

Well that explains it. So for about 10 days, they weren't incubated 24 hours a day? That means cell division ceased each night when internal egg temperature dropped below 84.5 F, cell division ceased. Hopefully, all the time between 84 and 95 didn't cause enough disproportional development that they will be vigorous enough to hatch.

Well that explains it. So for about 10 days, they weren't incubated 24 hours a day? That means cell division ceased each night when internal egg temperature dropped below 84.5 F, cell division ceased. Hopefully, all the time between 84 and 95 didn't cause enough disproportional development that they will be vigorous enough to hatch.
aww so they aren't going to make it?? they were under the hen for about 16 hours a day then she got up to do her stuff.

Till they hatch.
When a hen comes off the nest or if the power goes off while incubating, hatching will be delayed by a lesser amount of time than the period the power was off but not by the same amount of time so no one can tell for sure how long. Only the embryos know.

The only way to predict exact timing of hatch is to start with fresh eggs from a flock given optimal nutrition and incubated at precisely 99.5 F - then they will hatch in precisely 21 days, unless the eggs are extremely small like seramas in which case, they will be early.

I really never trust incubator settings or off the shelf thermometers. They are usually wrong - sometimes by a lot.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom