URGENT! Please! Rotten egg!

Ryleigh130

In the Brooder
May 14, 2023
I was walking by my incubator when I noticed this absolutely horrible smell coming out of it, when I looked in I noticed one of the eggs was rotten and was leaking. I quickly took the egg out and cleaned where it was sitting, I also candled the other eggs and noticed one other was rotten so I took that out. These eggs were not close to each other and only one exploded. I’m really worried this will harm the other eggs in the batch, this is my second time hatching but my first time experiencing this. It is day 15 for the duck eggs and day 8 for the chickens, will they no longer hatch? I didn’t see any residue on the other eggs.

I honestly don't remember the procedure for this. I know what happened; when you leave an unfertilized or too old egg inside the incubator for too long, eventually enough bacteria gets inside the egg that it explodes, and I think it can infect the other eggs, but not sure if it gets so bad that you need to take all the infected eggs out. @MGG do you still incubate often?

I was walking by my incubator when I noticed this absolutely horrible smell coming out of it, when I looked in I noticed one of the eggs was rotten and was leaking. I quickly took the egg out and cleaned where it was sitting, I also candled the other eggs and noticed one other was rotten so I took that out. These eggs were not close to each other and only one exploded. I’m really worried this will harm the other eggs in the batch, this is my second time hatching but my first time experiencing this. It is day 15 for the duck eggs and day 8 for the chickens, will they no longer hatch? I didn’t see any residue on the other eggs.
Did one actually explode or was it just oozing? If the other eggs aren't covered in stuff they should be ok. I'd probably remove them and clean the whole incubator though and then put them back in just to be safe, since your eggs aren't very close to hatching yet. Lots of time for bacteria to still multiply and spread.
I'd also get in the habit of candling your eggs every few days to remove and duds or quitters.
I honestly don't remember the procedure for this. I know what happened; when you leave an unfertilized or too old egg inside the incubator for too long, eventually enough bacteria gets inside the egg that it explodes, and I think it can infect the other eggs, but not sure if it gets so bad that you need to take all the infected eggs out. @MGG do you still incubate often?
Thanks for the tag! I do.

Back
Top Bottom