Urgent: post-amputation care, advice needed/I thought I would spend my Saturday doing this...

Keeping a dressing on a chicken is difficult! Once the leg has scabbed over and is dry, not oozing or red or inflamed, I would see how she does without a dressing. Other chickens pick on the injured one, but if you have one that is mild mannered, your injured bird might do better with company.
Drinking and eating is great! Giving a recovering bird extra protein, like some tuna, can speed up recovery, too.

Keeping a dressing on a chicken is difficult! Once the leg has scabbed over and is dry, not oozing or red or inflamed, I would see how she does without a dressing. Other chickens pick on the injured one, but if you have one that is mild mannered, your injured bird might do better with company.
Drinking and eating is great! Giving a recovering bird extra protein, like some tuna, can speed up recovery, too.
It's definitely difficult.
I may pick out one or two of my bantams to spend a few days with her, she'll definitely enjoy having some friends to boss around.
The faster she is back out the better, I think once she is able to be with the others again her mood will further improve and she'll get more skilled at maneuvering with one foot.

Can someone give me the dose for penicillin? The bottle I have says 1 ml per 100 lbs but what is it for chickens?

She's definitely eating and drinking well enough but she isn't moving much. I also keep finding her laying in her food bowl or waterer. She is very alert, just not wanting to hobble which is understandable. I am going to try to fashion her a sling as well so she doesn't soil herself too much, I did clean her off pretty well this morning so she is mostly clean, and I soaked her yesterday before I did anything with her foot, but the potential for a fly strike still concerns me.
Also, could this be of any use? Just curious, I bought more antibiotic ointment as well.
20210905_170351.jpg 20210905_170358.jpg

She’s doing great! The leg looks pretty good. i would recommend seeing how she does without it, pretty sure when we amputated she didn’t have a bandage after the first few days.
I'll probably give her a few more days just in case, but yeah, everything seems okay.
Anyone have any tips for reintroducing her to the flock later this week? Also, how do I make life outside a little easier for her now that she can't get around as well? I'm already making plans to modify the ramp to get into the coop, and I'll see how she does jumping to the roosts, but I'm thinking about building a covered roost close to the floor for her.

The way we did ours if I remember correctly is that she ended up roosting like a foot of the ground or so, and I think she had her own coop (we had another bird with more severe leg issues who shared) and then we just opened the coop like with any other bird and they mingled. if I was going to do it with one bird at this point, I would just take her back outside and keep my eye on her. If she does seem to be doing better but isn’t up to abled bird activities maybe move her to her own coop with access’s to outside.

as for making it more accessable just clean up where they like to be, so it’s more flat/less obstacles.

With a nice scab, which that looks to be, I would not bandage it. Dry, Air, Clean. Maybe you could put a "look no touch" type of run out with her friends visible? Low, clean, lots of feed and water accessable with a bantam bud you mentioned? Birds will pick on an injured flock mate, and pick the scab, and keep her from the feed and water -- I wouldn't put her back until she is mobile and the stump is pretty well healed.

Back
Top Bottom