1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Urgent question on broody hen with eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Glenmar, May 27, 2011.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    My broody is on 2 eggs. Another hen laid an egg in that nest ( infertile, I don't have a roo)
    Anyway that egg got broke and contaminated my fertile eggs. I wiped them off on the hay and
    fluffed up the nest. Will they be ok????

2. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    How did it contaminate the eggs? [​IMG]

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    I would wipe them off before the junk dries. Take dirty hay out, put new hay in, set eggs

back in the nest, and your set.

[​IMG] Good luck!

4. HappyTalons

HappyTalons Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    I had something similar happen and I think it may have killed all of our eggs, but I didn't notice it until the goo was partly dried. I'd give them a good wipe down with a moist rag.

5. Smith farm

Smith farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Blum, Tx
    I just had 20 absolutely filthy eggs hatch in the bator. I wouldn't worry one bit if I were you. and also it's not contaminated if it was a fresh egg the only way it would be is if the egg sat for multiple days and was rotted!!!!!!!!!!

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Last year I had a broody hen setting on 4 duck eggs. On day 5 or so she broke one of the duck eggs and got all of the other eggs all ucky. I didn't clean any of them off, cause I've heard you don't want to take off the "bloom." All three of the remaining duck eggs hatched!!!

7. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Ok thanks. It was a fresh egg. I wiped them off with a damp towel. I will candle them in a few days.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by