Urgent questions about the acurite thermometer

lovemychicns

Songster
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
Rockwell, NC
Hi all

I must tell you first off how much I have learned from all of you and being a new chicken mom I am so grateful. I have a few questions about the acurite thermometer. Miss Prissy it's the same model you have so i hope you are reading this. I am a little confused. I placed it in my LG still air bator last night to see how it works. The thermometer that came with the bator is reading 104 and my last hatch I had it reading 101.5 - 102 and my hatch was poor. It was explained to me that the therm that came with the LG was off. I had no idea. No wonder my hatches were terrible. so I followed the advice of many on the site and purchased an acurite. It has the
"In" temp on the top and the "Out" temp in the middle, then the humidity reading on the bottom. Which temp do you go by the top or middle or both. Do you put the probe in the bator also, and where do you place it in the bator, in other words do you lay it down, stand it up, attach it to the middle and on what side. Sorry for so many questions but I just want it to work correctly.
idunno.gif

Thank you

Karen

You put the entire unit in the bator. The probe reads the OUT temp, but does NOT read humidity-only the body of the unit does that. If you leave the unit outside the bator with the probe in a water weasel or lay it in the middle of the eggs, the probe (OUT) will read temp only. The unit would be reading your room temp.

This is a water weasel, if you dont know-see the probe inside it?
DCP_6305.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. So I can place the whole unit in and only worry about reading the out temp. . I know the LG still air has a different temp on top and bottom so where do you think I should place it. Should I lay it down or just use the probe but then do I raise the unit and or probe to be even with the eggs?

Last edited:
Put the probe at the top of the egg and have that read 101.5. That is where I put the temp at when I was running still air and a probe type thermometer. However, I do recommend testing even your accurate for accuracy because digital and analog devices not certified can be way off.

Back
Top Bottom