URGENT...Should I cull? Graphic picture included

Apr 12, 2011
A chick who hatched on day 19 popped out of his shell this morning sometime while I was at work. I think his intestines are hanging out and its a bloody mess in the bator. There is some blood on the other eggs from his hatch. My questions is, could he recover from this? He is breathing and chirping but not moving around.

I will cull if need be. But if this guy has a fighting chance than I will give him that.

86337_img_1170.jpg

I don't think so, that looks very much like his guts. If it was a little bit of a hernia I'd advise you to put it's guts back in, seal the hole with super glue, and hope, but he's in pretty bad shape. Make it quick for the little guy.

I'm a (human) newborn intensive care nurse. This is a serious birth defect in humans that can be difficult to treat in a high tech hospital environment.
In a chick this should be fatal.
If you attempt to replace the intestine in the chick and seal the hole, you will also seal in all the bacteria already all over the exposed gut. This gut, when placed back into the abdomen will swell and that could be fatal. Also, the gut will be compromised and unable to function, allowing the chick no way to absorb the nutrients it would need for survival, much less wound healing and infection fighting.
As sad is it is to lose a chick that you've watched over and hatched, it is not kind to prolong this chicks life.

I culled the chick about an hour ago. I took suggestions from another post... with the chick, some baking soda and vinegar in a cup and placed them in a ziplock bag. I sealed the bag and returned about 2 minutes later to find the chick dead. Co2 apparently is a painless way to die, so they say. How people know this, I have no idea.

Yes it was hard, but a teachable moment for my children. They shed a couple tears but agreed it was the best thing to do for the chick.

We have another one hatching and this is day 20. My bator's temperature must have spiked at some point. So aggravating
hmm.png
Hopefully this little guy has a fighting chance. So far he has broken a hole through the egg shell and I haven't seen any sign of blood. Here's hoping for the best.

Back
Top Bottom