!!Urgent!! Sick guinea fowl who has survived numerous other sicknesses but is now very sick...

Cassowary

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 16, 2016
I need help quick if I'm going to save my one and only beloved guinea fowl! I have been researching, but cannot pinpoint what disease he has--here are the symptoms.

Very lethargic-walks a little, then sits down. Can't seem to balance quite right, and closes his eyes to sleep often.

No appetite-he drinks more water than normal, but will not eat food. His poop is almost completely water now, which is how I know he hasn't been eating.

Will not talk-it is very unusual for my guinea not to chirp in greeting or talk to my sister's guinea fowl. He does not make a noise anymore.

Swollen Abdomen-my guinea's breast has shriveled to almost nothing, and his rear is puffed like a water balloon. Something must be clogging him, but I'm really sure it's not worms because I have inspected his poop and all the other chickens we have are unaffected.

Most likely not a bacteria-I have revived my guinea fowl from sickness twice before with penicillin. (once when attacked by an owl, another time when he got a different type of sickness.) But now when I'm using penicillin he shows no signs of getting better--so maybe he has a virus? If so, I don't know what to treat him with. Really I just need to know what exactly disease he has.

Past Cases-every now and then one of our chickens gets these same exact symptoms, and at the stage my guinea fowl is at they are only a few days from death. Still, it doesn't seem to be contagious because only one chicken will get it then die. Perhaps the causing agent is in the area? I don't think it would be dirty water, but perhaps moldy food?

Any advice, explanation, or helpful insights are appreciated!!! I really need this sickness identified though. I have seen in the forums very similar described symptoms, but no "oh it's this disease."

My guinea seems to be acting slightly better today--he is by himself in a cage in our garage, and has eaten some food. His poop is a little more solid. I understand if he has a virus, there may not be anything I can do for him and I have to let the sickness run its course... I'm praying for him. :) If anyone else wants to pray for my guinea fowl Eclipse, I would appreciate it. :)

My guinea fowl is still hanging in there. I did some more research, and I think Lymphoid Leukosis is the closest match to what my guinea fowl has. I have a question though--does anyone have any idea how effective Penicillin is after almost a year past expiration? I've read that some drugs can be effective 10 years past expiration, but I wanted to double-check if anyone has had any experience...

Unfortunately I don't have any answers to your questions. I've had guineas for a year, but I've never had one get sick.
Your guy sounds like he's been through a few tough times.
I stopped in to say that I hope he gets better.

I don't know if how long Penicillan stays effective for...since it needs refrigeration.
It's not like an injectable vitamin.
We've used penicillin on the odd cow when it's been a few months past expiry... but I'm not sure if it would be reliable beyond that.

Last edited:
I'm worried about my guinea too. She is about 1 month old and has some of the same symptoms as yours does. She also has an unusually short neck. I hope yours gets better!

I gave my guineas and leghorns save a chick probiotics and electrolytes 2 days ago. Since then my guinea has been feeling better. She hangs out with the other guinea fowl and even runs around! :-D

Back
Top Bottom