Use a shed as coop?

DrullRulz

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
I've been wanting to get some chickens, but can't afford to buy a coop, and am not the handiest person, though I can do the basics. I have a couple of sheds on the back side of my property that aren't used. Would it be reasonable to convert one to a coop, and what would I need to do/add? I know just the open space won't work, but thought it might not take much to make it "hen worthy".

Thanks...

An existing shed should work fine. Just add perches-figure one foot of perch per chicken, add a chicken door of about 1 SF in size that you can secure at night, and nesting boxes, at least one per five chickens. Might want to consider a window or two also. And, make sure the finished coop is ventilated. Hope this helps.

Doug

check out HorizonStructures.com they can help you with taking a shed and making a coop out of it. You can add coop packages or buy your internals from them as well. They do ship all over the US.

I've been wanting to get some chickens, but can't afford to buy a coop, and am not the handiest person, though I can do the basics. I have a couple of sheds on the back side of my property that aren't used. Would it be reasonable to convert one to a coop, and what would I need to do/add? I know just the open space won't work, but thought it might not take much to make it "hen worthy".

Thanks...
I converted a shed...used mostly scrap materials and a scratched window left over from biulding our house! Go to my page to see pictures!

I am also converting an unused shed into a coop. You can see the pics on my profile page (it's not finished yet). We have a large shed that we are turning into 2 rooms, a coop and a storage area. We actually built a room in a room if you will. The coop inside the shed was built using 3 existing walls, then we added a wall with a door and a roof on top. The coop is 6' deep, 8' wide with a sloped roof that goes from 6' on the front to 7' on the back. We decided not to use the entire floor to ceiling space because the chickens don't need that much height and it will be easier to keep warm in the winter.

Back
Top Bottom