Use of Hay in run

I use hay in my coop, and when the run gets wet the hens just stay under the tin roof which covers half the run,they free range most of the time anyway unless its raining or snowing then they stay in the coop in the nice warm dry hay, when I clean out the coop all the dirty hay goes on the garden, marrie

I'm in a brief thaw here in vermont... we lost about 1 1/2 feet of snow today, and all the poo is being uncovered.... ewww... we had blowing rain last night, so it's gross and wet. I'm going to try to find some pallets for a new spring coop, and might sacrifice one or 2 for mud islands... I usually use straw, but with my ducks, it turns into a slick, smelly mess really fast...

Quote:
I agree, free wood chips are great. I have used them for many years. Each year they bring more and dump it right where I want it.
Most of my runs are covered, however after 3 -4 ft snow melting, they can still get pretty wet. A few wheelbarrows and it is nice again. Lasts for a long time and the eggs stay much cleaner!

Also some of those chips are big enough that bugs 'live' in them..well until the chickens find them.
smile.png

One note on using hay. Be very careful it does not mold. They can get develope breathing problems.
I use hay for mine but keep it where it will not get wet and then moldy. I also change it often giving them fresh. Never had a crop problem in all the years I have used it.

I had course would chips that lasted almost a year, but recently they are breaking down, and the run was getting muddy.

After some recent winter wind storms, we had an abundaunce of fir cones all around the yard/driveway. I raked these up and spread them in the areas that we walk in the run, and they have been working great. They take a long time to break down, and keep our feet cleaner, and dryer. The hens don't seem to mind them, but they also don't roto-till in the areas which the cones are spread as much. Thus the pathways continue to exist longer.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom