Use of sling for broken leg

I am not an expert or vet, not a bone guru either, but when she turns in the video, her joint twists. I do wonder if there's a break or possible slipped tendon there.
I agree getting xray is best, but a lot of times that's not an option.
Your initial instinct was to splint the leg and place her in a sling. If the leg is getting worse, then you may want to revisit that instinct and see if it makes a difference.
Thank you for this. Is there a way that I can fix a slipped tendon...like slip it back, perhaps? I’ll look into a splint tomorrow and will certainly rig up a sling for her. I guess she can hang out in the kitchen with us while we do school—my kids will LOVE it!

If the tendon is slipped, you may not be able to fix it. Let's hope she's twisting around funny due to some other injury.
Here's a good manual showing different splints.
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

I hope she starts to improve.
Marek's as suggested is also something to consider, unfortunately if that's the cause, then there's no treatment/cure, just supportive care like you are doing.

Is there any way you could see a vet tomorrow for an xray to rule out a fracture? How old is she? Was she vaccinated for Mareks? Did you witness her injury, and lastly do you have a rooster? This is a pretty serious injury, but there could be some nerve damage, and I worry a little about Mareks diseases or curled toe paralysis. If it is an upper leg injury, those apparently are hard to splint, since splinting should be done both above and below the injury.

I would say if you used a sling, she should be suspended off the floor with neither leg touching the floor. Slings are usually meant for periods throughout the day, then letting them sleep at night lying down, but I really am not sure if that would be best for your chicken. Here is a video of a type of sling:
Ok about 3 weeks ago my little 12 week old, old english game hen was lying on the ground when i went to feed her that morning, it seemed she couldnt use one leg , so i isolated her with her buddy in a large dog crate so she could heal....but the past few days it seems neither leg is really functioning correctly...she tries to get up but flips over on her back with both legs up in the air then she cant move at all ...so she cant scoot over to her feed and water, im beside myself on what do do..i think a vet visit isnt going to help much, dont really want to spend $1k on xrays and at this point she needs lots of attention...she eats, drinks and other wise very healthy any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated...I AM currently giving vitamins with electolytes thinking it could be a vitamin deficency

Ok about 3 weeks ago my little 12 week old, old english game hen was lying on the ground when i went to feed her that morning, it seemed she couldnt use one leg , so i isolated her with her buddy in a large dog crate so she could heal....but the past few days it seems neither leg is really functioning correctly...she tries to get up but flips over on her back with both legs up in the air then she cant move at all ...so she cant scoot over to her feed and water, im beside myself on what do do..i think a vet visit isnt going to help much, dont really want to spend $1k on xrays and at this point she needs lots of attention...she eats, drinks and other wise very healthy any input on this matter would be greatly appreciated...I AM currently giving vitamins with electolytes thinking it could be a vitamin deficency
Mareks disease sounds like a possibility unfortunately. I agree that trying a vitamin with riboflavin (B2) just to rule out a riboflavin deficiency would be good. I would start a new thread of your own so that others will see it and not confuse it with the OP’s thread. A chicken sling might be a good thing to try to get her upright and in front of food and water. Here is a link about those:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Mareks disease sounds like a possibility unfortunately. I agree that trying a vitamin with riboflavin (B2) just to rule out a riboflavin deficiency would be good. I would start a new thread of your own so that others will see it and not confuse it with the OP’s thread. A chicken sling might be a good thing to try to get her upright and in front of food and water. Here is a link about those:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
she has no other symtoms of mareks disease...her eyes are clear, she eats and drinks all day...she is very active scooting around whether she is in a cage or on the ground in her run..not at all lathargic......

I have a chicken with either a broken or severely sprained leg. I have her contained in a small crate with food and water to limit her movement. I’ve read on here that a sling is the best option to take the weight off, but I haven’t found the answers to a few clarifying questions. I can make a sling for her, but...
1. Does she need to be in this sling 24/7 for a few weeks?
2. Does she need any time free of it to prevent weakness in her other leg or wings (with a human, we rotate, do PT, etc).
3. the sling is to be high enough thatneither foot touch the ground, or should they rest lightly without bearing weight?
4. What else can I do for her?

Thanks so much for the help and support this sight provides. I’m new to this and have learned a lot here.

Follow up: there are no visible problems on her feet and legs (no bumblefoot). The issue seems to be in her thigh region, rather than on a visible portion of her leg—and I don’t feel confident splinting it bc I don’t have steady hands for such a delicate job. She is otherwise healthy, eating and drinking and “grooming” herself.
I have almost the same situation with my baby chick about 5 week old. She’s otherwise heatlhy eating and pooping okay no blood and all although she gets spooked when she poops so I made her a temporary sling support. I will make one with wheels tonight for when she’s better and can try to walk.

How is your chick doing?

Back
Top Bottom