Use these as nest boxes? For RIR/Silkies?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by noahsmom, Feb 11, 2013.

1. noahsmom

noahsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    North Eastern, Ky
    When we moved in the previous people built a wooden shelf for the pantry area to put their canned goods etc,... Well it's VERY heavy and I couldn't pick it up or even drag it! So I kind of picked up one side and rolled it out of the carport area. After a few rolls it fell apart and 3 of these became apparent. Perfect boxes 27"L x 13"s wide. Would this be a tight squeeze if I divided them into two nest boxes each?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I think they would make fantastic nest boxes! I bought one of those 12-hole metal nest boxes at a chicken swap. Each nest is only 10" wide and 12" deep. So I think if you just halved those, they'd be plenty of room. My LF Cochins didn't have any problems using my nests, and they're very large girls. Good luck, please post a pic when you finish them!!!
    Nikki

3. NC ChickenKate

NC ChickenKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    I have a small flock of 8 banty hens...4 EEs, 2 Welsummers and 2 Silkies. Their first coop had four 12" x 12" x 12" nest boxes and they would quite often try to cram two or more hens into one nest box to lay at the same time. Interesting noise when a hen growls! And not all eggs were laid in the nest due to the tight quarters.Their second coop has two 12' deep x 12" high x 24" wide nest boxes...they still cram two or three at a time into a box to lay. At least here is enough room now for three to actually fit at once with all the eggs actually getting deposited in the nest.
    Full size hens? I'd say keep it to one larger nest box rather than two smaller ones.

4. NC ChickenKate

NC ChickenKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh...and something else...if your silkies are raised with other breeds they learn to do all the things a regular chicken does like go up and down a steep ramp (my coop is a two story affair and they have two steep ramps to get to their roost). Silkies can't fly like the others (no lift with their fuzzy feathers) but they sure can jump! I've seen many comments on many chicken sites about Silkies being physically unable to go up a steep ramp. Maybe if it is only Silkies they are raised with but my two girls simply kept up with the others and know no limitations.

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I like dresser drawers for feed the hens can crawl in toss food about and it is all contained. I also like dresser drawers for lay pens you just have to take out every other drawer. and the drawers are good for nest boxes. We have a burn pit in my area, I find old kitchen counters, dog houses, very large airplane boxes and kitchen cabinets they are all great for birds. I also recommend 2nd hand stores, and reclaimed kitchen places. happy hunting.

6. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    You could have a ton of nesting boxes and the hens always like to lay in the same box, sometimes on top of each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by