Used coop disinfection

Xerocles

Songster
May 22, 2019
Clinton (piedmont) S.C.
Not design and construction, but I hope this fits in this forum. I need another coop. I found one free for dismantling and moving. It appears quality built, and constructed so that it comes apart in sections. Basically everything about it is a go.
My question. I know nothing of its former inhabitants, or why they are no longer there. I don't want to bring disease onto my farm. Is there a safe, effective....and hopefully inexpensive method of disinfection for a whole run/coop?

I recently did this. First step was disassembly and power wash. Then I sprayed the whole thing with diluted bleach. Then after it dried I ended up painting the whole interior and caulking all the crevices. The caulk was more to eliminate mite hidey holes than disease. I doubt anything could infect the chickens now! It was a lot of work but I got a $1000 coop for $200. And I would have wanted to paint and caulk the inside anyway. Not a fan of bare wood inside a coop, too easy for insects and hard to get poop off. The perches are (new) red cedar 2x3s. I sealed those with a soy based sealer and they look nice.

I know nothing of its former inhabitants, or why they are no longer there.
Do you know how long since birds were in it?
Most organisms won't survive some time...but power wash and bleach should get most of them.
I've read that Virkon(?) can kill even Mareks.... @Texas Kiki would know.

@Xerocles ...where are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-21_10-27-1.png

@Xerocles ...where are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1913967
Well, dang it. My original question is now moot since I just learned someone else got the coop already.
2nd part. No reasonable i-net service, so I use my unlimited phone. So I dont know how your computer works...but on my phone, if you tap my avatar, an extremey handsome photographic rendering appears, with my city, state, and general geographic region showing beneath said picture. How can I make it more convenient for you? Need a mapquest link added?

Well, dang it. My original question is now moot since I just learned someone else got the coop already.
2nd part. No reasonable i-net service, so I use my unlimited phone. So I dont know how your computer works...but on my phone, if you tap my avatar, an extremey handsome photographic rendering appears, with my city, state, and general geographic region showing beneath said picture. How can I make it more convenient for you? Need a mapquest link added?
Click on the small avatar at the very top of the screen.

If you are in the United States a city and or state name is good enough, If not a country name will work.

In this picture below...
Click on the Avatar at the very top of the screen to the left of the word inbox.
Screenshot_20190921-100738.png

Gosh guys. Sorry. This info has been in my profile for a few months. When I click on my posts avatar it shows up for me. But I have seen this suggestion so often in my threads, maybe there is a problem with it showing up for others? Please, would one of you try clicking on my avatar to determine if, indeed, the info is not showing up? If not, I will see what I can do to rectify this.

Back
Top Bottom