Used run? Is this wise?

TrixiePA

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
South Central PA
I'm looking at getting (for free) a dog kennel (10 ft x 10 ft x 6 chain link) to be used in my run construction. The friend who offered it kept chicks in it years ago and while it's in great shape, I'm concerned about biosecurity.

Her family just gave us chickens after her kids left home and she says (I believe her) that it wasn't because of any sickness or mysterious deaths.

But to be safe I'd want to disinfect it right? What kind would be the best? How about power cleaning it only?

Maybe this isn't the best place to post this... confused.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
If it were me I would take it and clean it completely. Not just for any previous chickens but any chemicals, wild birds, mammals that might have left a residue on it that might harm your chickens or attract a predator.
I would power wash it first to remove any dirt, residue and then hit it again with a 10% bleach solution in the power washer being sure to keep it "wet" with that solution for say 5-10 min for contact time to kill anything that could be lurking.

Oops sorry I meant to write, they gave UP their chicken keeping years ago. Been about 4 years I think. I know some buggy germs can stay in the ground for years... but as per told they never had a problem that reared it's ugly head and they were aware of.

Sorry about the confusion.

Back
Top Bottom