USED to have grass before chickens-HELP!!

Pics
Don't know if anyone mentioned this but we had the same problem, especially the most common path to drive to the barn it's just grass but thin and compacted.

We bought a couple of rolls of rolled excelsior.

https://www.siteone.com/en/landscape-supply-erosion-control/c/sh1213101100

It worked well and wasn't too expensive. Another year we scattered some of our hay over the seed and dealt with the weeds or volunteers after the grass was established.
Rolls with grass/ lawn contain lots of poison ☠️. This is not a good idea , certainly not in combination with chickens.

Not sure if anyone suggested this yet - sorry if it's redundant - but if you want to keep free ranging the chickens you could just put a temporary fence around the area you want to reseed. You can get cheap plastic fencing on amazon or wherever, easy to set up, then just take it down once grass has regrown. I've also used this method in my garden since I usually let my chickens free range for a couple hours in the evening.

Not sure if anyone suggested this yet - sorry if it's redundant - but if you want to keep free ranging the chickens you could just put a temporary fence around the area you want to reseed. You can get cheap plastic fencing on amazon or wherever, easy to set up, then just take it down once grass has regrown. I've also used this method in my garden since I usually let my chickens free range for a couple hours in the evening.
Good idea except for the cheap plastic (imo). Why not buy something that lasts longer. Good fence can be reused over and over again. I bought more expensive panels with 2x2” wire. I reuse these panels for all kind if purposes.

Good idea except for the cheap plastic (imo). Why not buy something that lasts longer. Good fence can be reused over and over again. I bought more expensive panels with 2x2” wire. I reuse these panels for all kind if purposes.
I agree, having done the cheap plastic I'm now upgrading to the more durable material, but I was just trying to point out that there are cheap options in case OP didn't want to invest a lot of money in something that lasts a while.

Sometimes someone asks for advice and people will be like, "you need to build a whole new coop" or "you have to completely change the way you're doing it". So I try to suggest the easiest possible modification to show that it can be attempted with minimum expense/effort and then upgraded if desired.

Back
Top Bottom