useful farm animals

dragonshiner

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NE Wisconsin
Aside from chickens and ducks what do you think sre the most useful, multi-purpose animals to have and raise on a farm? I ask because I think i might expand. We have five acres so I might as well use them.

Goats! They eat weeds, produce milk and meat and their hooves are good for the soil, and my chickens think that they are walking gumball machines,(pellet shaped poo) gross but environmentally friendly. Some goats are even good for their hair,and they are all great for companionship. I have two of them and I would have a dozen if I could get away with it.

Well, mostly I'm thinking meat, weed/grass control, fertilizer. It would also be helpful to have something that would act as a guardian animal to my birds when they are free ranging. Oh, and milk would be sweet.

My vote would be for sheep unless you have very good fences. Sheep need fences that will protect them..but they dont try to get out. Goats can get out of any fence that water can go through lol. Both are good for meat and milk. Goats have a more fun personality..but sheep are very soothing to be around. I love both my goats and my sheep..but if i had to chose one over the other based solely on how logical of an animal for the homestead it would have to be my hair sheep.

If I had my way, we'd have chickens, turkeys, guineas, rabbits, pigs, and a milk cow.

Right now, we just have the first three.

Only three to go!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Want to come and tell my ewes that? I have a couple that are worse than my goats.
barnie.gif

Pigs are good for tilling the soil and fertilizer. But you don't want them to range with chickens in case they get hungry.

Goats are a lot of fun. But they do need good fences. A good sized Nanny with horns can be great predator control against dogs and coyotes. Though often a good hot electric fence will keep even the worst jail breakers in. The males stink to high heaven though.

Sheep, especially hair sheep, are easy to care for and mostly stay in.

Both sheep and goats milk are great for things like cheese and milk.

You could also look at a mini cow or two. Both Herford and Angus come in mini size as well as some Irish cows like Dexters and Highlanders. Dexters give great milk, Highlanders good meat, are great foragers (More like a goat than a cow), and have fiber. Herfords give good meat and can be milked, my grand dad did. And Angus (also known as Lowlines) are good for meat.

with 5acs you can do a good bit.just not enough room todo things on a big scale.you can raise piggs sheep goats an calf for butcher.as well as chickens an turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom