Uses for 5 gal home depot buckets

I have never started my own plants. Lol my mom said it was too hard but, looking back, we didn't have the space or light. I turned my basement into a barn. 3 brooders going just now so it is warm. I was thinking about getting a grow light and trying some seeds.

"The Dosage is the Poison".

And no, the dosage is unlikely to matter over the lifespan of your chickens. Not sure what, or where, you read - but EVERYTHING is dangerous. EVERY SINGLE THING.

If dosing information isn't being provided (exposure, timeframe), then its most likely alarmism intended to advance a political aim - such as reducing reliance on fossil fuels/petroleum products.

However laudible those goals may (or may not) be, I don't find them well served by misrepresentations, "errors" of ommision, and emotional appeals. Understanding that none of us are getting out alive, the only way to *effectively* manage risks are to discuss them honestly, in ways that they can be compared and weighed agaisnt one another.
Totally makes sense. Yes, everything is dosage related.

I do both!
Joining you both, we also have cherry tomatoes planted from seeds (we start them in the disposable plastic trays you buy mushrooms in at the grocery store - they are great for starting plants), some romas, some generic "plum-type" Roma similar tomatoes, and some hothouse tomato seeds we saved from a much rounder plum-sized indeterminate tomato we liked.

None of that "beefsteak" variety for us, give us FLAVOR!

They are being hardened off now, will move to the raised beds soon.

And no, the dosage is unlikely to matter over the lifespan of your chickens. Not sure what, or where, you read - but EVERYTHING is dangerous. EVERY SINGLE THING.

If dosing information isn't being provided (exposure, timeframe), then its most likely alarmism intended to advance a political aim - such as reducing reliance on fossil fuels/petroleum products.

However laudible those goals may (or may not) be, I don't find them well served by misrepresentations, "errors" of ommision, and emotional appeals. Understanding that none of us are getting out alive, the only way to *effectively* manage risks are to discuss them honestly, in ways that they can be compared and weighed agaisnt one another.
So if I were to make a horizontal nipple waterer for my chooks w/ a HD or Lowes bucket, it'll likely be all right? I agree w/ the concept of dosage and alarmism, and wondered where I was going to get "food safe" containers for this.

So if I were to make a horizontal nipple waterer for my chooks w/ a HD or Lowes bucket, it'll likely be all right? I agree w/ the concept of dosage and alarmism, and wondered where I was going to get "food safe" containers for this.
Yes, the bucket will crack from a combination of weather and UV degradation long before dangerous levels of "whatever" are likely to leach into the water. Actually, removal of some of those dangerous over very long period and in high dosage chemicals, such as Bisphenol A (BPA), tends to make the bucket more brittle, less "plastic" (as in, maleable and able to have its shape deformed without failure) than they used to be. and thereby helping to fill landfills faster witht he rest of the materials that make up that bucket.

and still safer than galvanized steel.

Oh, and the chemicals which make the bucket Home Depot Orange provide *slightly* more UV resistance than the Blue for a Lowes' bucket, for reasons I don't understand, but I don't know if the relative amounts of them more than compensate. I seem to remember HD buckets being "more orange" in my youth, while the Lowes buckets remain pretty blue.

Finally, I just bought a new Lowes bucket last week (my closest Home Dpot is almost 60 miles away). Flip it over, and its "HDPE 2" in a triangle. High Density Polyethylene "2" - that's stable food grade plastic. One of the more stable, actually. Your Home Depot buckets may say the same.

gaddam that was well put :highfive:

I have two 5 gal bucket waterers for quail and chickens and a plastic garbage pail water and have seen no ill effects in two years of constant use

Yes, the bucket will crack from a combination of weather and UV degradation long before dangerous levels of "whatever" are likely to leach into the water. Actually, removal of some of those dangerous over very long period and in high dosage chemicals, such as Bisphenol A (BPA), tends to make the bucket more brittle, less "plastic" (as in, maleable and able to have its shape deformed without failure) than they used to be. and thereby helping to fill landfills faster witht he rest of the materials that make up that bucket.

and still safer than galvanized steel.

Oh, and the chemicals which make the bucket Home Depot Orange provide *slightly* more UV resistance than the Blue for a Lowes' bucket, for reasons I don't understand, but I don't know if the relative amounts of them more than compensate. I seem to remember HD buckets being "more orange" in my youth, while the Lowes buckets remain pretty blue.

Finally, I just bought a new Lowes bucket last week (my closest Home Dpot is almost 60 miles away). Flip it over, and its "HDPE 2" in a triangle. High Density Polyethylene "2" - that's stable food grade plastic. One of the more stable, actually. Your Home Depot buckets may say the same.
Yes, they are #2 which is one of the safe numbers. 1,2 4,5 seem to be safe. But the home depot website said that it wasn't food grade. Not every 2 is. It does seem to be a safe enough resource. However, for my waterer I am going to check the local bakery for an old frosting pail.

Next time you're in the grocery store ask the bakery department for frosting buckets. My stores usually wash them out and place them with the marked down items. Restaurants receive pickels, frozen eggs, mayo, dressings, cleaning supplies... in 5 gal buckets and often have stacks of them that they can't get rid of.
Reduce, reuse, free.

Back
Top Bottom