Using a bootleg incubator

if she's tight on money, hens mean more money /mouths to feed, so that may not be viable either. Granted eggs come from it but it's a fine line, that chicken math yanno !!
Aaron
If the poster is tight on money to the point of not being able to properly care for a broody hen then hatching a bunch of mouths may not be the best idea

Unfortunately, I'm tight on money right now and I can't afford another one. Would it just be a good idea to get a second thermometer to put in the incubator and up the temperature?

yes I would get a separate hydrometer and thermometer. I wouldn’t up the temp until you get one of those the temp and humidity reading from the incubator could be way off

I agree that it would be easier to give advice. If we knew what kind of incubator you were using. If it is a styrofoam incubator. You may be able to purchase a name brand thermostat and maybe a new heating element for it. Which would make it reliable. While being cheaper than purchasing a whole new incubator. It is usually just a couple of wire nuts and a few screws holding those parts in. A pretty easy fix.

get a styrofoam cooler,get a fish tank heater or lizard hot rock, a bucket of water, and an external thermostat. there you go, your own incubator on the cheap. an old coleman cooler from a salvation army would probably work too. I used to use a heating pad set on medium with a plastic like shoebox set on top of it with moist towels in the bottom for incubating my bearded dragon eggs.

If CAN be done without spending a few hundred dollars on some piece of.. gizmoditry or garbage, depending on what you got.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom