Using a broody hen..

havi

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Waco, Texas
Okay I have a BO that is broody and I plan on putting fertile eggs under her to hatch. This is my first time owing chickens and trying to hatch chicks. Should I make a seperate house for her to hatch the chicks in or should I just leave her in the main coop? Shes been broody for about a week now and seems to do fine with the other 4 hens coming in beside her to lay their eggs. What should I do?

As long as you are able to tell the fertile eggs from the fresh laid eggs, it might be ok to leave them all together. But, if the other hens are laying eggs under her, with the fertile ones you are trying to hatch, it might make a fertile one not be under her if too many eggs get under her. If they lay in another nest box instead that would be good!

I date the hatching eggs with a sharpie. This way when I collect eggs I know which ones to leave and which ones to take. I have a hen that will crawl in the box with the broodie and lay her egg right on top of her! I have no idea what is wrong with the other 9 boxes!

Quote:
I had 2 hens that went broody this summer . I moved her and the nest in a separate cage . Made sure she would have plenty food and water . Actually had to lift her off the nest and MAKEHER eat and drink . BUT all eggs hatched from both broodys and chicks are beautiful ...

After a couple of days , I returned the hen to the restof the flock and made sure the chicks had starter/grower feed and water .

!st. hatched bunch ar enow 6 weeks old and are beautiful and growing very fast .

2nd. hatch are now a week old and very happy lil chicks .

HEN naturally pitched a fit to be removed fromnher chicks , BUT whether its a few days old or several weeks when they are separated , HEN will come unglued . HAS to be done ...

I left the chicks in the cage with food and water and HEN can see her babies from the run area .

My hens all like to use the same nest box too! They'll use one for awhile, then use another one, funny girls!
I like to let my hen also raise the chicks after she hatches them, but they are not as friendly that way.

The only problem I would see with the other hens laying eggs in with her, is that if there were a scuffle, the eggs could get broken. I always move my broody hens to a cage or pen, so they can be left alone.

Well the eggs I will be getting will be a totally different color. So Im not worried about getting the wrong egg. I have two nesting boxes for 5 hens and they all want to use one.
roll.png
Ive been in the coop when the other hens lay their eggs and they just sit beside the broody hen and lay. Its just everything I read online says to take the broody hen out and put her by herself. My next question would be..if I leave her in the coop will the other hens pick on the babies? How long can I leave the hen with her chicks? At what age should I take them away?

I have always seperated the broody hen and her clutch and left her to mother them until she sees fit to leave them on their own which typically is about a month maybe a bit longer. She will just up and leave them alone to fend for themselves when she feels they are ready. Just what works best for me.

Back
Top Bottom