using a chest freezer for a coop

I don't think it would really be that hard to add ventilation. A jigsaw with a metal blade could do it, it might take a little while. You will need to be able to cut it to add next boxes and roosts and stuff, just add some windows and frame them. I'll be you could even add a drain on the bottom so you could hose it out.

chickens need a lot of ventilation.

ok...so after thinking about the ventilation...I think we're going to drill 3- 1" holes and slide PVC pipe (scraps) in there and add screen. East or West...which side, Probably the back side of the chess, which would be the East side.that should work, correct?
Do you think they should be bigger?
idunno.gif

thanks everyone for all of your help...
I'll take pics and keep you posted.

Melinda
we're not getting it until around the 10th of sept.

Last edited:
Quote:
No, that shouldn't work. Nowhere near enough.
ETA Go to "Search" on the blue line above and type in "ventilation". You need to do some serious reading before you start constructing any coop of any kind.

Last edited:
You might cut a round hole in the top side and install a small turbin (spelling?)
you then could put vents on all sides. saws all works wonders. Just a thought.
old.gif

Quote:
I would really think about what joebryant originally suggested. I think that is probably the best (maybe only) way to use the freezer as a coop. The ventilation is your principle problem with using it. Show us some pics!

Back
Top Bottom