Using a heating pad to finish the hatch

davidb

Songster
11 Years
Dec 15, 2008
north east Georgia
I was wondering, if any one has any experience using a heating pad, to finish hatching a clutch of chicks. I have 11 eggs under a hen, today is the hatch day,but only 4 have hatched,I have 1 peeped, but its been that way since 8 this morning its 12 ;30 now, I'm worried she might come off the nest if I leave her on till tomorrow, I have heard of people doing this, but have never done it myself, so any info would be appreciated thanks

I haven't used a heating pad as a hatcher but I have taken the eggs after the hen left the nest and put them under a lamp and had them hatch. The one that has pipped could possibly take up to 24 hours or longer to hatch. Better to leave it with her unless she gets off the nest for an extended amount of time.
She will know when the hatch is over and THAT is when she will leave the nest to take care of the ones she has already. Just watch her for now.
And if she does get off just take the eggs and put them in a container that will help hold the heat from the lamp making sure you don't get it to hot. They also need humidity, I usually add a new sponge in a pan of water. Hope this helps. Good luck with your hatch.

Do I just use a regular lamp with a 60 watt bulb, and yes It does help thank you for writing, I have b.a. eggs under a game hen, I have a brooder ready to put the hen and the chicks in,is why I don't want hen to leave the nest,sometimes it gets pretty tricky trying to catch a game hen with chicks on the ground in the open.

A 60 watt might work if you can get it close enough to the eggs but I use a 100 watt. Be sure and make sure not to get them to hot.
And yes I do know how hard it is to catch a game hen...lol If she doesn't tear you to pieces ( lol) she might come to you if you have her babies, or maybe putting them in a cage with the door open so she can get in but they can't get out.

I was looking around for my bulbs, Ive put in all energy savers, the only one I found was a 120 watt, so I guess I will go with that, Btw if I put some wire over the nest box, to keep her on longer, will that help, or will she possibly kill some of the ones already hatched.

Back
Top Bottom