Using a thermostat to control cookie tin water heater...

iananderson

Chirping
Mar 31, 2014
Close to the beach in Asker, Norway
Hi guys,
Has anyone else tried using a cheap STC-1000 thermostatic controller to switch on (and off) the cookie tin heater?

I just made this setup to give it a try. I set the temp initially to 2 degrees C but the top skinned over, so I bumped it up to 5 degrees C and last night it was minus 8 degrees C and no ice.

I also replaced the single bulb with a double bulb in case one blew. I figured that with a thermostat the power consumption would be less anyway. I read in the instructions that there is an alarm if it fails which I'm hoping means that if both bulbs blow and the water goes below 5 degrees C the alarm will sound.... Hope so anyway.

Here's the finished setup pic from the blog...

and the initially confusing wiring diagram converted into 'real life' :)

Hope that's food for thought for anyone else making this type of heater.
Cheers and Merry Christmas!
Ian

p.s. (although I'm really hankering after a plastic water carrier type with nipples and an aquarium heater and have just ordered a heater off ebay lol)

Good idea about the brooder. I was always conscious that our 150w bulb was going to be on 24/7 for a month or so!

Would be easy to pop the probe down where the chicks are to monitor the temp. I wonder if it will have any adverse affect on bulb life (assuming it'll switch on and off from time to time...)?

I switched to ceramic heat emitters for the larger brooders. That way I can provide a solid dark period and a light period each day. I have LED lights on a timer for that.

I also recently got Premier 1 heat plates for brooding a small number of chicks. The extra small one only uses 17 watts and 22 watts for the small one. I calculated it would pay for itself in one brooding with the savings in electricity.
http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=135875

Back
Top Bottom