Using an oil heater in coop?

Saqqara

Chirping
May 16, 2018
Hi all. This will be our first winter with chickens. I have been reading the how to heat my coop threads and saw a suggestion of using an enclosed (porcelain?) oil heater. The kind that looks like an accordion. I just happen to have a couple of those but was wondering if it can be used safely on the floor with hay? Or should I build a platform for it? Is it a fire hazard? I want to be safe, and to be honest I don't really know what I'm doing......lol

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
Where are you located in the world? That will dictate whether you should even heat your coop.
Chickens are very tolerant of the cold. Keep the coop DRY, WELL VENTILATED and the birds DRAFT FREE when they are roosting and they will be just fine.
Just as an example of how hardy chickens can be... my flock is just 6 months old. It rained all day yesterday, the temp was 34 - 43 F for the day with a mild wind. Everyone was soaked but just kept on leaving the sheltered coop/run and didn't seem to mind it one bit.
Don't use your comfort level in the cold to gauge your chickens comfort level. They come equipped with down jackets. You don't.
If you start heating your coop and something happens where you suddenly can't, the drastic temperature change can then kill your unadapted chickens. Make sure you really need to add heat to your coop.

kwhites634

Slow hands & an easy touch
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Right here; north-central MD
Hi all. This will be our first winter with chickens. I have been reading the how to heat my coop threads and saw a suggestion of using an enclosed (porcelain?) oil heater. The kind that looks like an accordion. I just happen to have a couple of those but was wondering if it can be used safely on the floor with hay? Or should I build a platform for it? Is it a fire hazard? I want to be safe, and to be honest I don't really know what I'm doing......lol
You don't need a platform for it in the middle of your living room floor, which is where it needs to be. Your chickens don't need artificial heat. As long as they're dry, out of drafts, and have wide perches so their feet aren't exposed to bitter cold, they'll be just fine.

Top Bottom