Using an older chicken run question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Britchick, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Britchick

Britchick New Egg

Apr 8, 2009
    Hello All,

New to BYC though I have been a lurker for some time. I do have a question about my chicken run.

I have had chickens in the past, very healthy girls too. About 2 years ago someone left the door to the coop open,by accident, and a coon wiped out my flock. Very devastating to say the least. After 2 years of being heart broken I have picked out my new girls, 8 beautiful cotton balls.

My question is this:

I will be using my original chicken run that my other flock had used. Do I need to do anything in preparation before letting my new girls into the run? Even though my other hens were healthy and looked great I understand that one flock can be immune to one thing and another flock may not be. Do I need to prep the soil or anything? Medicate the girls prior?

I just want to make sure all is well and prepared for my girls.

PS...Moving the run is not an option.

Thanks in advance [​IMG]
  2. tabatha_westcott

tabatha_westcott Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    I added new chicks to my old coop. I just cleaned it out like I normally would. Nobody has ever been sick and my "flock" only consists of 6 hens. I think you'll be fine if your run is clean and your old chickens were healthy
  3. Freckle Face Farm

Freckle Face Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    [​IMG] Sure just clean it up a bit and you should be good to go!!! [​IMG]
  4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    I would just clean it up real nice and check for any wear and tear that needs to be repaired.
  5. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    I wouldn't worry unless you lost a recent flock to disease or parasites, but otherwise it's common to use the same coop for many many years.
  6. Britchick

Britchick New Egg

Apr 8, 2009
    Thank you all for your replies. I feel more confident about the outside run now.

We built a new chicken coop and it is inside my garden greenhouse/shed. The little chicken door leads out into the outside run. Good double insulation especially here in Michigan where winter can be pretty cold.

Thank you once again : )
  7. montcapu

montcapu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2008
    laingsburg, MI
    Quote:welcome to BYC from a fellow michigander
  8. Britchick

Britchick New Egg

Apr 8, 2009
    Thank you Montcapu. I am in Holly, Michigan : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by