Using Aspirin on Chickens

5 mg per Kg/2.5mg per pound, TID. However, we dosed our 8 lb. roo at 10mg. per lb., BID, to good effect (recurring bumble foot). Pretty much increased dose by observing activity level. Vet had him on Cephalexin as well. Found that the easiest way to dose was to crush a chewable 81 mg. Aspirin and simply divide into nearly equal piles when determining lower dose. Then, daub up the antibiotic & Aspirin on grapes and he scarfed them right down. Really helped him get around during his 8th, and final year. ED: Experimenting with dosing can be fatal - so, you're on your own in that regard (what worked for a 6-8yr. old production RSL rooster that was under regular observation - could be totally inappropriate in other circumstances with other chooks)

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif

I have been putting Betadine and Neosporin on Francesca twice a day. She was bitten by my neighbor's dog. However, the wound is closing, and as long as infection doesn't set in, I think she will survive.

This picture was taken a few days ago, and it already looks better. The brown stuff at the bottom of the wound is the Betadine. Yesterday, I put her outside with my other five hens and she started bossing them around as usual. She is 3rd of six hens on the pecking list. I didn't want to leve her outside because I was afraid that the other hens would peck her wound. Do I need to worry about that?

Thanks so much for y'alls answers. The aspirin is really working. She doesn't seem to be in any more pain.

I usually don't separate them unless they're feeling really poorly. I do watch for pecking though and if it starts I separate.

Good job on the betadine and Neosporin.
Campho-phenique after the betadine and before the ointment will help ease the pain too. It is also available at drug stores.

With things like dog and other mammal bites I like to inject an antibiotic for a few days.

Ok, I have one more question regarding the use of aspirin. Francesca is looking much better, praise God! I have been letting her outside during the day and she hasn't been pecked or anything. And she doesn't seem to be in any pain. Should I stop giving her aspirin? I probably will soon. But let's say I didn't, would anything bad happen? I was just curious. Anyway, thanks so much guys for all your answers. They are much appreciated!

I'm sorry, reading back on it, it is confusing. Actually, I meant if I continued to give her aspirin even when she was well, would anything bad happen to her. Sorry for the mix up.:rolleyes:

Help! Francesca picked off her scab. The wound is actually looking much better, but I am worried that she will hurt herself or make herself sick by eating the Betadine or Neosporin I put on the open wound. Should I put a bandage on? But I've heard that you should' nt so the wound can air. What should I do? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom