Using Broody hen to hatch....

Chill_Billy

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 16, 2007
I have a very broody Silki sitting on a few eggs.
I was just looking for any extra info on what to expect.
I'll put marbles in waterer so chicks don't fall in, but will this be hard for her to drink from??
Should I put in a heat lamp...will she keep them warm until they start walking around nest?
its hot during the day here but cools down at night.
How long can they stay with her..how do I tell when she has enough of them and wants to be back with other hens.
Thanks for help......

Hi, as for the waterer just don't overload the thing with marbles. You don't need a heat lamp for her unless you live in a very cold climate.
Let the babies stay with her for as long as she wants-my gamebird kept hers for about 7 weeks, then I separated them because she was getting snippy with them. Silkies are much nicer chickens and may be able to keep the babies around longer.

Best wishes

Momma will do everything, You dont need a heat lamp, unless it is Very cold out. The marbles in the waterer is a good Idea, but just dont put too many in.Make sure you also have chick Starter ready for when they hatch, momma will eat it as well. As far as how long she keeps them with her, varies form hen to hen. My last broody kept hers with her for 5 weeks, and then just let them fend for themselves. and they have been doing just fine.

Thanks for the input...
I figured as a first timer I would do it the " easiest way"....Let mama do all the work...I just have to clean water and poopy butts!!!!!

ell I am pretty sure yesterday was day 21...

no action with eggs and Hen seems normal, not excited or anything.
Eggs are very small silki sized. And I had a hard time candeling and was wondering how long do I keep them under hen before giving up?

Back
Top Bottom