using broody hens to hatch pheasants

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by pheasants4ever, Sep 12, 2014.

1. pheasants4ever

pheasants4ever New Egg

Sep 12, 2014
    Hello forum people!
    this is my first post on BYC and i need to know about broody hens and pheasants

so firstly what is the best broody chicken species: silkies game hens ect. . . silkies seem like they are good at hatching but are more or less walking tv dinners for hawks and the like

secondly, will these hens care for these pheasants once hatched or will i need to separate the chicks once hatched?

any help would be appreciated [​IMG] thanks in advance

2. Kevin hendricks

Kevin hendricks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2014
    I use black rosecomb bantams to hatch my pheasants, I like clean legged chickens they seem to keep the eggs cleaner, I take mine away after they hatch but I'm sure they would raise them OK

3. maranfarmer563

maranfarmer563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    My bantys hatched pheasants ok ,but then the babies run away

4. pheasants4ever

pheasants4ever New Egg

Sep 12, 2014
    do you all think standards would be too heavy? would they crack eggs and or kill chicks

5. pheasants4ever

pheasants4ever New Egg

Sep 12, 2014
    and while im thinking about it how many pheasant eggs can a bantam handle at a time?

6. Kevin hendricks

Aug 29, 2014
    Standards are too heavy for pheasants they will bust the eggs, game hens are good setters but they don't like for you to check on the eggs they peck and shuffle and break eggs, if you leave the pheasant chicks with the hens you have to put them in a cage that the chicks can't escape thru, I use quarter inch wire for the pens, I take the chicks and brood them under heat lamps and set the hens with more eggs

7. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    bantam. cochin,

8. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens can carry many diseases that they are resistant to but are quite fatal to game birds. Coryza, MG, and blackhead to name just a few. As well as a host of parasites, some of which are disease causing.

It is best to keep chickens separated from game birds and wash your hands and equipment between handling each species.

9. Kevin hendricks

Aug 29, 2014
    I agree about chicken disease being fatal to gamebirds, I raise a host of exotic and endangered pheasants, I treat my chickens just like my pheasants by keeping them wormed and parasite free, I guess I've been lucky I've never had any trouble .......

10. maranfarmer563

maranfarmer563 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    northern Pennsylvania
    Kevin,you have some cool birds,what state are you from?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by