Using chick starter too long?

CANDLE98

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Meridian Idaho
So what happens when you feed your 8 week old chicks chick started instead of grower food? I just didn't realize that you had to switch until I read the back of the bag. Hey imagine that it says it on the bag! My next bag is going to be grower feed, but is it okay to keep feeding them the chick starter for now?

It'll be fine. I feed a starter/grower till point of lay. Usually, if there is a difference, it is in wither or not it contains a coccidositant. It's only needed for the first 8 weeks to help the immunities develop. Beyond that, it just costs a bit more to feed it to them. Don't worry about it.

What brand are you using? Are they laying chicks?

I feed start and crumbles to pullets until I see them lay an egg. Then they get laying pellets.

You will not see in problems in their growth keeping them on starter. The starter usually has more protein than the grower rations.

I think the brand is Neutro or something like that. They chicks are getting HUGE i think so I think they are growing just fine on the start. I think I will just mix in a bag of grower and then go to grower from then on. They are all layers except for my silkie roo and one EE that was supposed to be a layer! "his" name is momma!

I accidentally fed mine starter until they were like 12 weeks old. They were fine but chick starter just doesn't have whatever they need to develop quicker so I didn't know I had a Rooster until he was 15 weeks old. He also hadn't started crowing yet.

Back
Top Bottom