Using ChickenGuard On a Horizontally Tracking Door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Johnnyschick, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Johnnyschick

Johnnyschick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    Here's how I made the ChickenGuard automatic door system work with my horizontally opening door.

Note: The ChickenGuard company does not recommended it to be used in this type of application, unfortunately I did not know this before ordering it from the manufacturer.

Materials: (Lowes 8/2014)

2 Convert 2" Heavy-Duty Wall/Ceiling Mount Pulley, Model # T7550502, $4.58
    1 The Hillman Group 14 Gauge Galvanized Steel Wire, Model # 122065, $7.67
    1 Empty small water bottle, $0.00

If you like the ChickenGuard's ability to open the coop's door in the morning when it gets light outside and close when it gets dark but your coop has a horizontally opening door, you could do what we did and devise a ballast that will pull the door closed when ChickenGuard starts to close the door.

1. I found a used but clean small water bottle that still had its cap.

2. I found an area adjacent to the door that would allow the bottle unrestricted vertical movement.

3. I installed one of the Wall/Ceiling Mount Pulleys directly over this area making sure that it was in line with the door.

4. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the door just below the top edge of the sliding track.

5. I then tied the Galvanized Steel Wire to the door, fed it through the track and out the end. I used wire instead of cord because it would be more resistant to curious chickens.

6. Using the wire's location as a guide, I mounded the second Wall/Ceiling Mount Pulley so that it guided the wire up and over the first pulley.

7. I then cut the wire to length and tied the end to the water bottle.

8. I finally poured a little water into the bottle and tested the door to make sure that it closed. After trial and error, I found the right amount of water to put into the bottle that would close the door but not put undue strain on the ChickenGuard's motor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by