Using DEET around chicks

sillygrilla

Songster
7 Years
Feb 23, 2014
My beautiful chicks are 5 weeks old today. And the mosquitoes and ticks are starting to come out. Is it safe to use DEET-containing products on myself when I'm handling the chicks? They like to eat out of my hand and sometimes peck at my clothes; I don't want them to get poisoned!

Any advice is appreciated.

My beautiful chicks are 5 weeks old today. And the mosquitoes and ticks are starting to come out. Is it safe to use DEET-containing products on myself when I'm handling the chicks? They like to eat out of my hand and sometimes peck at my clothes; I don't want them to get poisoned!

Any advice is appreciated.

Everything that we eat or drink or smear on our hides is toxic. Like all toxins DEET will kill an elephant if it is able to eat enough of it at one sitting. But even though your chicks are many many times smaller than an elephant the tiney tiny amout of DEET your chicks are able to get off of your skin or clothing will not be enough DEET to urp a skeeter.

PS:
Because mosquitoes are the vector pest for chicken pox, it may also be a pregnant idea to do something to reduce your chickens as well as your own exposure to mosquitoes and the chicken pox virus that causes chicken pox in poultry.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about the deet on your clothes...but I tend to wash my hands before I feed the peeps just in case I have something toxic on them. I avoid using sprays in the backyard where they forage just for safety's sake...but, because of the ticks, I do spray myself! By the way...those little chooks will clear your yard of ticks and most of your ground bugs! Lol they're amazing!
1f414.png

Thank you for the responses! I always make sure to wash my hands before & after feeding/handling the chicks, and I'm glad to know they won't be able to get enough to hurt them off my clothes. So looks like everything's good.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom