Using Diet Soda in place of Eggs and Oil in Boxed Cake???

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by pirtykitty, Jan 20, 2011.

1. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Has anyone heard of substituing diet soda in place of eggs and oil with a boxed cake mix/??

My aunt just called and told me about it. Said the cake came out moist, no fat or sugar...

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    i Have heard of that before in regards to dutch oven cooking, never done it though.

3. vpeterson

vpeterson Chillin' With My Peeps

They just had it on "The View"

4. lxlzbaca

lxlzbaca Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2010
    New Mexico
    I've tried it to fit a weight watchers diet. It takes pretty good, but doesn't rise the same. You can use different flavors of diet soda to change the flavor of the cake a little.

5. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    It sounds hideous. Of course, I hate diet soda... [​IMG]

6. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Hubby is a type 2 diabetic and so is brother in law. She thought it might be good to fix for them.

7. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    I would not want to put an artifitial substance kike what diet soda is made up of in place of a natural product like eggs. Most diet sodas contain Aspertaine as the sweetner. That product took years to get approval from the FDA. It finaly got approval when Donald Rumsfeld went to work for them after he left the White House after the first George Bush's presidency. The European Union has not approved it yet.

8. DawnMarie74

DawnMarie74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Hoschton
    My sister has tried it and says using diet orange soda taste good. If your trying to make a healthier cake, I would suggest using egg whites and replacing the oil with apple sause.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by