Using egg cartons during lockdown?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenman17, Jan 9, 2011.

1. chickenman17

chickenman17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Southeast Oklahoma
    I usually just lay all of the eggs on the wire but they end up getting rolled around alot. So, i'm thinking about using egg cartons next time during lockdown, but i want some feedback on how to do that and how well it works. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    I just asked for advice about that on another thread and thought that it would be best for me to use the carton method (cardboard carton with bottoms cut out and top cut off). I'm going to do it to keep the eggs elevated the same, although I have a fan in the incubator the temp varies with the height. I'm also doing it to keep the air space towards the top. But this is my first hatch, so what do I know!!!

3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    It works really good, I believe that you have better hatches in cartons. I do this on all hatches and it works good for me.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I've just started doing this. I had to see pictures of the cut down cartons before I "got" it, though. Basically, I cut my cartons down so much that they're almost a collection of rings holding the eggs upright and close together. The flat bottoms of the egg depressions are cut complete out, the sides are cut down so there's not a lot for a hatchling to climb over after zipping the eggshell.

Unless you have one hatching upside down, like this one:
    [​IMG]

He needed a little help. Yup, it's a baby roo.

5. Muzzie

Muzzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Connecticut
    That is so cute

6. UrbanGrower

UrbanGrower Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    West Jordan, UT
    Quote:Is there an official just hatched pics thread? If not we need one stat!

7. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    After our first hatch when I about had a nervous breakdown watching the already hatched chicks kick the unhatched eggs around, I will never NOT use cartons to hatch in. Not only for my piece of mind but for the poor babies still in the eggs getting bounced all around. We don't cut the bottoms off of ours though because we hatch on the floor of our cabinet incubator. We just cut the cartons to however many eggs we have in lockdown.

8. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I used them for my first hatch this month. It worked great. I have read the suggestion to use styrofoam cartons instead of cardboard so it won't affect humidity.

9. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have to cut the carton down?

10. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    I didn't use anything last fall when I did my first ever batch. I filled the incubator turner rack full and then took it out those last few days. I too watched in a kind of horror at the unhatched eggs getting brutally bounced and rolled all over the bottom of the incubator. I think, for one thing, I tried to do too many eggs. Just because it will hold 42 eggs, doesn't mean I should try to do that many at once. Only about 28 eggs actually hatched successfully. Those that came out first were fine, those that might have came out later, didn't all make it, and I wondered about all that bouncing around. I did pull the hatched chicks out as soon as they dried off and were running around, placing them into my brooder box, but now I'm thinking maybe I need some kind of cut down carton to hold the eggs in place.

The reason I think possibly the hatched chicks killed some of the unhatched chicks is, some had late stage developed chicks in them when we checked. They were our own eggs, so no loss for bought eggs, but I still felt bad for the unborn. I'll be looking into some type of method to keep the eggs from abuse when I do a new batch this spring. Also, do not plan to fill the incubator so full this time. I did follow the instructions that came with the incubator, yes I am a man, some men do read instructions. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by