using energy saving light bulbs for incubator?

chickenshiha

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
palestine
2 months ago I made a homemade incubator with 6 eggs in it I hatched out 4 of those eggs but the problem was the electricity bill that I pay every month usually but if I spend mor electricity I pay every 2 weeks so I need to I want to hatch with incubator again but less electricity can a CFL energy saver light bulb work the ones with curvy bulbs? I was also thinking if 3 12volt AA batteries will work with a 60 what bulb will it? thank you for reading this hope you give me helpful advice(im pretty sure you will)

Last edited:
The reason the cfl bulbs are energy efficient is that they do not waste a great amount of the electrical energy needed to create light through the expulsion of heat. Traditional light bulbs require much more energy to produce the same amount of light and emit heat as a by product. Since your eggs need steady heat, energy efficient bulbs will be of no use. At least not without another heat source.

Hi, I honestly wouldn't like to say but I thought that one of the energy saving features of such bulbs was less energy loss through heat? Could be way off the mark (wouldn't be the first time :D)

Hope you get more solid advice soon.
Cheers
Ct

so cfl is not a good choice is there a light bulb that produces heat good and less energy waste? will the 12 battery work if I get to wires and stick it to the 60 watt bulb? I know it like im in a science class

I was just reading some incubator form using cfl and someone posted that he uses CFL bulbs in the incubator and brooder and hatched them eggs and warmed the chicks?

Why not give it a try with a few eggs? If others have done, no reason why it shouldn't work for you!

Ct

If you are using CFL without a thermostat, and can regulate your temp by providing the correct amount of insulation/ventilation... then it could work. But, if you are using a thermostat, which will give you a MUCH better temp control, and therefore a much better hatch, with far less likelihood of temp related deformities in your chicks, (can you hear my bias here????) the CFL wouldn't work for several reasons: The constant on/off cycling of the bulb will not work well with a CFL. And the CFL doesn't produce as much heat. Many home made bators have 2 incandescent bulbs, so that if one quits, the other will keep the bator up to temp. They cycle on and off many times in an hour. If you were to add up all of the "on" times over a 24 hour period, and do the math, I think you'd find that your bator really draws very little power. IMO, not enough to jack up your bill. If you're interested in cutting electricity use, how bout unplugging all of the appliances (TV included) that have the constant availability feature. All of those LED's burning in so much electrical equipment do eat up the electricity over time. Have you switched to CFL in all of your lighting fixtures? Huge savings there.)

If you are using CFL without a thermostat, and can regulate your temp by providing the correct amount of insulation/ventilation... then it could work. But, if you are using a thermostat, which will give you a MUCH better temp control, and therefore a much better hatch, with far less likelihood of temp related deformities in your chicks, (can you hear my bias here????) the CFL wouldn't work for several reasons: The constant on/off cycling of the bulb will not work well with a CFL. And the CFL doesn't produce as much heat. Many home made bators have 2 incandescent bulbs, so that if one quits, the other will keep the bator up to temp. They cycle on and off many times in an hour. If you were to add up all of the "on" times over a 24 hour period, and do the math, I think you'd find that your bator really draws very little power. IMO, not enough to jack up your bill. If you're interested in cutting electricity use, how bout unplugging all of the appliances (TV included) that have the constant availability feature. All of those LED's burning in so much electrical equipment do eat up the electricity over time. Have you switched to CFL in all of your lighting fixtures? Huge savings there.)
so CFL is a bad choice I might trade all the light bulbs in my house to CFL bulbs and the incubator will just use a 60 watt bulb that make heat.
how about the battery need more info

You can not run a household light, CFL or incandescent with a battery unless you have a power converter. And it will cost you way more in batteries than a single or double bulb incandescent system with a thermostat using household current will cost.

Wishing you the best with your build. You might want to look at the excellent how to videos by Rush Lane Poultry on incubator builds.

Lazy Gardener.

Back
Top Bottom