using extremely high temps to hatch only females

Pics
Something I have read about and tried myself is to hatch fat bottomed eggs. It's an old wives tale that skinny/long/tall eggs are said to be "roosters" and short/fat/round eggs are "hens." I always pick out the fattest bottomed eggs i have and i get about an 80/20 ratio. Coincidence? Maybe. But i still do it.
There is actually an old thread on here where they were trying to see if that was actually valid overall or just in certain flocks. Not sure if they ever got enough good data to figure it out or not though.

Maybe ill try this out. Gonna have a lot of eggs this spring to play with

At one point this year i was getting 60 eggs a day! So i had a lot to choose from. Lol. My chicken math got a little out of hand this year!! 😂😂😂
Luckily chickens are in high demand and i had no problem downsizing.

Id think latin and South American countries know how to utilize rooster meat and make it succulent!

Replace hens not the rooster if gender ratio of offspring is the consideration for cause.
Thank you for this, can you PM me any studies. I’d love to read more. At the moment my breeding objectives include the blue egg gene and the naked neck gene (dominant genes) coming from the same parent so that the heat stress experienced by my Easter Eggers is reduced by the Naked Neck gene. The brown egg genes (recessive) coming from the other parent of a purebred heat tolerant breed such as Penedesenca. You helped me understand to pay attention to which hen mothered a clutch of mostly girls, and select for her offspring. So that I can avoid breeding too many boys just to cull them. Thanks, J

Attachments

• 8602B39D-8303-4C8B-809E-5C74B629C21B.jpeg
    8602B39D-8303-4C8B-809E-5C74B629C21B.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom