using extremely high temps to hatch only females

Pics

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
Has anyone tried this, or read any articles on it?
yes, yes, I know roosters are important- but as a person who always gets 80% roosters I am wondering if this has been done. I know with other species (human for example) female sperm can survive less than ideal conditions much better than male- so I was hoping someone else had done an experiment.... otherwise I might.

I mean to me that would mean a large number of the eggs wouldn't hatch I don't think genetically a chick will change from male DNA to female due to the temp change. So if what you're saying is correct (which I have no idea if it is or not, lets say for argument sake it is correct) then only the female eggs should survive which if you have a roughly 80% rate of getting roosters that means that the very most 20% of your eggs would hatch.

I would probably be looking at replacing the rooster if you're getting that many males over females.
Roosters don't decide sex in birds, it's the hen

Has anyone tried this, or read any articles on it?
yes, yes, I know roosters are important- but as a person who always gets 80% roosters I am wondering if this has been done. I know with other species (human for example) female sperm can survive less than ideal conditions much better than male- so I was hoping someone else had done an experiment.... otherwise I might.
I've had temperature spikes in my bator.. chick gender as far as I know is determined before incubation by the hen..

My temp spike.. resulted in an equal gender of chicks hatching.. with an equal number of deformities.. Depending on which day or how high the temp is.. you're just speeding formation.. making duckling with no eyes and so on.. you should get early hatching not extra females... IMO, according to EVERYTHING I've read/experienced with POULTRY eggs.

Replace hens not the rooster if gender ratio of offspring is the consideration for cause.

Refrigerated eggs holds truth to more females. I only hatch refrigerated eggs mainly, occasionally fresh.
I'll let you know if anything hatches.. out of desperation.. I set Bielefelder eggs that have been in my fridge since September! :oops: But lots of folks have hatched refrigerator eggs, so results should be available.

:pop

hatch 1 (under broody- my eggs) 9 eggs hatched, 6 roosters
hatch 2 (under broody- my eggs) 6 eggs hatched, 5 roosters
hatch 3 (under broody- my eggs) 6 eggs hatched, 5 roosters
hatch 4 (under broody- my eggs) 4 eggs hatched, 3 roosters
hatch 5 (incubator- all bought eggs) 33 eggs hatched, 19 roosters
hatch 6 (incubator- mine & bought eggs) 32 eggs hatched, 17 roosters
hatch 7 (under broody) 8 eggs hatched, I think 6 are roosters (maybe only 5)
hatch 8 (incubator-my eggs) 13 eggs hatched -I think 8 are roosters but they will have pea combs and its too early to tell...but I think 8 because of their legs and stance.

So..now you see why I want to find a way to get less roosters.

I mean to me that would mean a large number of the eggs wouldn't hatch I don't think genetically a chick will change from male DNA to female due to the temp change. So if what you're saying is correct (which I have no idea if it is or not, lets say for argument sake it is correct) then only the female eggs should survive which if you have a roughly 80% rate of getting roosters that means that the very most 20% of your eggs would hatch.

I would probably be looking at replacing the rooster if you're getting that many males over females.

I've had temperature spikes in my bator.. chick gender as far as I know is determined before incubation by the hen..

My temp spike.. resulted in an equal gender of chicks hatching.. with an equal number of deformities.. Depending on which day or how high the temp is.. you're just speeding formation.. making duckling with no eyes and so on.. you should get early hatching not extra females... IMO, according to EVERYTHING I've read/experienced with POULTRY eggs.

Replace hens not the rooster if gender ratio of offspring is the consideration for cause.

I'll let you know if anything hatches.. out of desperation.. I set Bielefelder eggs that have been in my fridge since September! :oops: But lots of folks have hatched refrigerator eggs, so results should be available.

:pop
REALLY?? wow- please let me know the results of the 2.5 month old refrigerated eggs.
VERY INTERESTED!!!!!:love

Back
Top Bottom