using extremely high temps to hatch only females

Pics

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
Has anyone tried this, or read any articles on it?
yes, yes, I know roosters are important- but as a person who always gets 80% roosters I am wondering if this has been done. I know with other species (human for example) female sperm can survive less than ideal conditions much better than male- so I was hoping someone else had done an experiment.... otherwise I might.

I mean to me that would mean a large number of the eggs wouldn't hatch I don't think genetically a chick will change from male DNA to female due to the temp change. So if what you're saying is correct (which I have no idea if it is or not, lets say for argument sake it is correct) then only the female eggs should survive which if you have a roughly 80% rate of getting roosters that means that the very most 20% of your eggs would hatch.

I would probably be looking at replacing the rooster if you're getting that many males over females.

I mean to me that would mean a large number of the eggs wouldn't hatch I don't think genetically a chick will change from male DNA to female due to the temp change. So if what you're saying is correct (which I have no idea if it is or not, lets say for argument sake it is correct) then only the female eggs should survive which if you have a roughly 80% rate of getting roosters that means that the very most 20% of your eggs would hatch.

I would probably be looking at replacing the rooster if you're getting that many males over females.
Roosters don't decide sex in birds, it's the hen

Has anyone tried this, or read any articles on it?
yes, yes, I know roosters are important- but as a person who always gets 80% roosters I am wondering if this has been done. I know with other species (human for example) female sperm can survive less than ideal conditions much better than male- so I was hoping someone else had done an experiment.... otherwise I might.
Refrigerated eggs holds truth to more females. I only hatch refrigerated eggs mainly, occasionally fresh.

Last hatch was 6 females, & 4 males.

My fresh hatch was 2 males, & 2 females.

No, Im saying that if I put 30 eggs into the incubator and used higher than normal temperatures, maybe on ly 6 would hatch but they would be mostly or all females.

Back
Top Bottom