Using fake eggs

Bama-chicks

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Alabama
We are trying to encourage using all the nest boxes, but our 4 hens keep sharing the same box. We bought 2 fake eggs, after the toddler broke one, we just put the one in a different box than the favored one.
Now it seems we've turned at least one hen broody.
Screenshot_20220628-092946_Wyze.jpg

The left box is favored, so they are moving with the fake egg, but all are moving. Should we put a fake egg in each box or will they all eventually get broody?
They have moved it at least once from center box to the right. And yesterday, Ms broody pictured here was in place while another hen got in same box with her..
Help, please!
Our goal is getting them to use all boxes instead of just all sharing one. We want our eggs and no broody going on though we do have a fiesty roo mating with all 4 hens so I'm sure we'd have some chicks.

I haven't had any success with getting any of my chickens to lay in a particular box, they seem to choose one and then fight over it or have to wait their turn all....day.....long!

I know that fake eggs are used to encourage hens to lay in the boxes instead of on the coop or run floor-or other undesirable areas but might work in getting them to lay in a particular box

I put a couple golf balls into each nest (that way I can tell the real eggs from the fakes when reaching blindly under a broody), but I still get most of the eggs from the same 2-3 boxes -- with 21 hens and 6 boxes.

It's normal chicken behavior that promotes their survival in the wild. :)
Thanks, if I don't really want them broody is it better to take out the fake one?

Four hens don't need four nests. They need one nest. But, since one hen is broody, they now need two or they will keep laying in the nursery nest and confuse things. Use a magic marker and mark each egg that Mama is setting. Check and make sure to remove any unmarked eggs.

If Mama doesn't mind the other hens using her nest, I wouldn't worry. I don't think the other hens will become broody whichever direction you take. Collecting the eggs as they are laid should defeat any broodiness.

Four hens don't need four nests. They need one nest. But, since one hen is broody, they now need two or they will keep laying in the nursery nest and confuse things. Use a magic marker and mark each egg that Mama is setting. Check and make sure to remove any unmarked eggs.

If Mama doesn't mind the other hens using her nest, I wouldn't worry. I don't think the other hens will become broody whichever direction you take. Collecting the eggs as they are laid should defeat any broodiness.
Oh thanks, this sounds great.
I actually just watched as another hen came into her nest and mama jumped out and took a break and let her take over. And now she's back on her nest. Very cool. I'll go mark what's under her today, if that's good.. she's been on around 4 eggs since yesterday and maybe a few more today. I think I saw 6 when she took a break (including the one fake egg).

Back
Top Bottom