Using feed from the floor.

Jake1297

Songster
8 Years
Feb 18, 2011
Western Maine
Is it ok to reuse the feed the chickens drop on the floor by sifting out the shavings etc.? It seems my chickens waste as much as they eat. I was wondering about scraping up the food around their feeder and sifting out the shavings. I did it once and they ate it like they usually do. Just wondering if this is ok, or bad for them?

I save myself the work of scraping it up. They do that all by themselves! When it seems like there's too much feed on the floor I don't fill the feeder that night. The birds then are motivated to clean up the floor around the feeder. Also, if you hang the feeder at a higher level, about at their back, they don't dump as much out.

I save myself the work of scraping it up. They do that all by themselves! When it seems like there's too much feed on the floor I don't fill the feeder that night. The birds then are motivated to clean up the floor around the feeder. Also, if you hang the feeder at a higher level, about at their back, they don't dump as much out.

+1.

When they get hungry, they'll scratch for it.

they will eat it off the floor, but if they make it fly all over and into places they cant reach(like what happens at my place) u can gather that and feed it again

They should clean it up just fine themselves, just hold off on refilling the feeder until it's cleaned up. It won't hurt them. They already eat scratch off the ground, and bugs, and peck at some of the weirdest things if you let them free range.

i'm sure its fine considering that they probably scratch and peck throung the same dirt or ground all the time.

My food is outside. But I do the same. If there is a lot on the ground I wont fill up the feeder till they eat all thats there. And they do. And if there inside will, mine go into the hen house all the time and scrape and peck in the shavngs. And there is NEVER any food in there. So I will let you guess what they are eating.
sickbyc.gif
Again, like I say all the time. There Chickens.

Back
Top Bottom