Using geese to protect chickens?

What's a gsd?

I want to get some sebastopols and was hoping they'd be protection. But I want them regardless.

I only have to worry about flying preds, the occasioinal coon, and our own cat. Hopefully the cat will not be a problem once the chicks are fully grown. But right now I don't like the interest he has shown and he is a hunter.

I love the great pyrs and the photos above are adorable. We already have two pet dogs, a lab and a golden. They stay inside at night and during the day they mostly hang our wherever I am. If we're not home, they stay inside.

What other dog breeds are good guardians? Could I just get one dog? I would want it to stay outside all the time. Would it sleep inside the coop? Or would I get a doghouse to put in the run?

Our property is fully fenced with another smaller fenced area (about 1 acre in size) that is woods and lawn where I want to let the chickens (and geese) free range.

Boy, getting those pups for $50 was an amazing buy! Esp since they are already used to birds.

One more question, if I fed the dog outside in the coop, would the chickens leave the dog food alone? I guess if he was eating it, they'd leave him alone. We feed our dogs the bones/raw food diet and they wolf it down as soon as we put the bowl in front of them.

I disagree about the cat situation. I have had three different incidents with a cat this year. If they hear any peeping or hens they will come. I have lost seven grown chickens during the day. My neighbor Linda lost all her pullets. I finally did live trap the cat. It was feral and extremely capable of taking down a large chicken. I couldn't figure out what was going on and suspected a hawk but I actually saw the cat stalk my birds before setting the trap for it.

Back
Top Bottom