* Using Grass Clippings

d.k

red-headed stepchild
11 Years
Feb 6, 2008
Southeast Coast of Florida
* Last mowing, I took a full bag of clippings and scattered them all over Chook's pen. I have kept her out of them for 2 days so they could dry. Didn't want her eating a crop full. Now the run looks nice, and fresh, poo is covered and I'm hoping some seed will sprout. Any problems anyone can think of with this???

I used grass clippings as a treat and as bedding for my tractor. I have never had a problem with clippings. They seem to love to scratch around in them and I have very healthy, happy chickens.

I would just be very careful that the grass you're mowing doesn't have any weed killer, fertilizers or chemicals on it before feeding it or using it as bedding.

Disclaimer: I'm no expert!
lau.gif

*I don't know how long ferts take to 'clear', but I've used my own compost tea and peatmoss the past couple years. Should be o.k. (?-shrug)

Last edited:
Everytime my SIL mows my lawn, I have him throw the clippings over into the chicken yard. They think they've died and gone to chicken-huntin-bugs heaven.
lol.png
It isn't important to let them dry first here, because they haven't been sitting around clumped together at all. Also, I'm sure there isn't any dog c-r-a-p or noxious weeds in the mix.

* smom; normally compost 'tea' is made by taking a handful of finished dry compost and soaking it in 'X' (5-55) gallons of water and then applying the finished 'tea' to your landscaping/lawn/garden as a 'gentle' fertilizer. Mine is a variation on the theme. I have a small bin of compost ingredients picked just for lawn growing that were covered with water and left to 'wet rot' and I put a couple strained ounces with some Murphy's oil soap and a super cheapy can of beer in a hose sprayer to dilute with the 4OO gallon of water we're allowed. It was a compromise, as DH was concerned that the city might object to a large scale composting project (probably right) but I was determined to have SOMETHING to use to grow a lawn.
wink.png

Last edited:
If your feeding grass clippings to your flock (and you should they love the fresh greens) I highly recommend installing a mulching blade on your mower. This type of blade will cut the grass into smaller peices. large peices of grass can get stuck in their craw and cause it to become impacted.

I always use grass clippings for my boxes and as a litter in my coop since all it is is hay anyway. They love it and love to scratch atound in it. My only concern is to make sure you have some type of dust for them to bathe in so they don't get mites.

Back
Top Bottom