Using hen to hatch quail eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by whitecra, Jul 15, 2011.

1. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Has anyone used a silkie hen to hatch quail eggs? I have a hen that has decided to set. I have some quail eggs I want to hatch but I am going to be gone for a week so I won't be here to hand turn them. I was just wondering if I could put them under the hen?
    Chris

2. Alexander

Alexander Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Greece
    I think you can.Others put geese eggs under silkies.

3. Chikn-Chik

Chikn-Chik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Tellico Plains, TN
    I put some of my button quail eggs under a broody silver duckwing hen once. I started out with 8 eggs and they all disappeared! [​IMG] I have no idea what happened to them either. Maybe you will have better luck! [​IMG]

4. judial8907

judial8907 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I would put the eggs under the hen. If my options were go on vacation and not turn the eggs then they are dead anyway. Can't hurt to try. I have a silkie hen that will go broody on anything, she sits on my duck eggs when my Cayuga won't. It is so funny becasue the eggs are so big under her. Good luck. [​IMG]

5. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I had a BBRed OEGB hatch out some quail eggs for a friend once. It worked the same as chicken eggs. I say go for it. If she is broody mise well let her set on them and give them a try. [​IMG]

6. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    That's how it was traditionally done in asia, use a smaller silkie if you have one, and see how she does.

7. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I think, in an ideal world, it is better to use a bantam to hatch quail eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by