Using liquid calcium for reptiles/ thin shelled eggs

DianeB

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Hi
I have a hen that has just overcome some serious egglaying issues. She has just returned to laying this last week. They have been good eggs, she's passed quickly, but with thin shells. Can I give her liquid calcium for reptiles for this issue?

I know a few drops of calcium into the beak helps finches and other small pet birds overcome issues related to egg laying such as egg binding. I would imagine that a larger hen would require more. The reptile calcium should work though. Usually it is a powder so I would put it over soft food, like hard boiled eggs or a mash in order to ensure that she actually ingests it. I believe the liquid calcium is more readily absorbed. I haven't need any in ages, but I believe the last time I got some for my caged birds I picked it up at Walgreens or CVS.

Thanks so much
I didn't think to go to CVS. Is the human grade calcium better for egglaying issues?

I think that the oyster shell and good feed matters more. The hen produces her egg shell usually in the very early am, and the oyster shell will be available then. Liquid calcium is good if there's a calcium deficiency in the hen, but not so much for egg shell formation in the wee hours of the morning.
You could call your state veterinary poultry expert about it.
Excess calcium, or a mineral imbalance, isn't better either.
Mary

Ensure that she's getting vitamin D3 too.
Vitamin D3 is an important nutrient for chickens, especially for growing chicks and laying hens. In young chicks, a vitamin D deficiency can cause rickets, resulting in leg and beak deformities. In hens, a vitamin D deficiency adversely affects egg production and can cause calcium deficiency. In order for absorption of calcium (Ca) and phosphorus (P), adequate levels of vitamin D3 must be present. Chickens can get vitamin D3 in their bodies through two different routes---by ingestion of it in feed or by exposure to sunlight.

See more at: http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/vitamin-d-deficiency

Back
Top Bottom