Using liver to stop fighting?

Big Red Roosters

Songster
Nov 7, 2018
United States of America
Was speaking with a local chicken owner, and he told me that when his chickens aren't getting along and are drawing blood, to hang up a piece of liver and it gets the frustration out and stops the bloody fights. I have honestly never heard of such a thing, anyone else? Should I give it a shot?

Well. A piece of liver would keep them busy for a few minutes, provide them with protein, A,B vitamins, iron and other nutrients. I don't really see a down side of a small amount of liver for chickens. It's often suggested in the ER forums for birds that are sick or even have anemia for one reason or another.

1 piece of Liver hung in my run would probably cause a war - pecking, chasing, fighting over it. IF I were going to give liver, then I'd probably chop it up, mix it with some eggs, place it in treat bowls spread throughout the run.

If you are having bloody fights - then tell us more about the age and breed of your chickens, how many roosters/cockerels and hens/pullets you have, as well as, how you have them housed (sq ft of coop/run)

Was speaking with a local chicken owner, and he told me that when his chickens aren't getting along and are drawing blood, to hang up a piece of liver and it gets the frustration out and stops the bloody fights. I have honestly never heard of such a thing, anyone else? Should I give it a shot?
If good for nothing else raw liver should help bring the swelling down after you apply it as a poultice to the bruised faces and black eyes of your chickens.

Were Banjos being played in the background as he was telling you this bit of information...
I use to play trivia at a beer joint in the Rocket city. One night I racked up a perfect score and people from all over the U S started calling in to talk to the Supposed Rocket Scientist. Instead I wrote a bio for the Trivia Network in which I claimed that the highlight of my life was that I am the Banjo Picker on Deliverance.

No kidding. Not sure liver is good for anything else. Mom always liked to serve it when we were hungriest and proceed to send us to bed without supper if we didn't eat it all. Figures none of us liked liver, so we couldn't pawn it off on each other.

God invented fried liver to help the onions go down.

If good for nothing else raw liver should help bring the swelling down after you apply it as a poultice to the bruised faces and black eyes of your chickens.
No kidding. Not sure liver is good for anything else. Mom always liked to serve it when we were hungriest and proceed to send us to bed without supper if we didn't eat it all. Figures none of us liked liver, so we couldn't pawn it off on each other.

Well. A piece of liver would keep them busy for a few minutes, provide them with protein, A,B vitamins, iron and other nutrients. I don't really see a down side of a small amount of liver for chickens. It's often suggested in the ER forums for birds that are sick or even have anemia for one reason or another.

1 piece of Liver hung in my run would probably cause a war - pecking, chasing, fighting over it. IF I were going to give liver, then I'd probably chop it up, mix it with some eggs, place it in treat bowls spread throughout the run.

If you are having bloody fights - then tell us more about the age and breed of your chickens, how many roosters/cockerels and hens/pullets you have, as well as, how you have them housed (sq ft of coop/run)
It's a good point, not sure what my bullies would do. It was more for future introductions than for a problem right now. I do have some cruel hens not allowing a broody back in, but I've got it in another thread and am taking care of it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom