Using Muscovy ducks to brood on peacock eggs

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Long story short, last year I decided to see whether my broody Muscovy ducks would sit on peacock eggs.
Learned some lessons like that I needed to remove the eggs as soon as there was signs of pipping. Ducks killed the first 2 peachicks before I did this. Had success last year so decided to do it again.
I have 3 broody ducks who share nesting duties. I have just removed 6 peacocks eggs that have pipped to finish hatching inside. I had already put a second batch of 7 peacock eggs under these ducks which are due to hatch in 2 weeks.
It has been a hugely successful year with my daughter's peahens laying 2 - 3 eggs a day. Most she is able to sell, plus her incubator is full.
Finally my question is, can I keep putting peacock eggs under my Muscovys. My plan would be to space it out to add more every 10 days or so. They are marked with dates. I'm worried that this might be harmful to my females to be brooding so long. I'm more concerned about my ducks health than the peacock eggs.

I agree with Miss Lydia. Ducks coming off a nest are thin and need time to recuperate. I usually had shared nests so it wasn't as taxing on the girls but they still suffered. Taking away the pea chicks not allowing the girls to raise what they hatch could cause problems down the road. Maybe throw in some scovy eggs so at at least they will having something to raise from all that setting.

They can survive your Canadian winters okay?
They don't have a problem. Where I am in Eastern Ontario, we get some very cold spells and lots of snow. The peacocks have a huge run attached to a large indoor area of the barn. So despite the fact they can easily go inside, they almost always prefer to be out roosting even on cold days, especially if the sun is shining It is very strange to watch them wading through deep snow after a big storm.

They don't have a problem. Where I am in Eastern Ontario, we get some very cold spells and lots of snow. The peacocks have a huge run attached to a large indoor area of the barn. So despite the fact they can easily go inside, they almost always prefer to be out roosting even on cold days, especially if the sun is shining It is very strange to watch them wading through deep snow after a big storm.
I bet so at least most of their bodies might be out of the snow.
Being born in Florida and only ever seeing Peacocks and hens at the zoo I always thought they were a warm climate birds. I've never heard of any around these mountains in NC.

Back
Top Bottom