Using Muscovy ducks to brood on peacock eggs

Maybe throw in some scovy eggs so at at least they will having something to raise from all that setting.
The combined total days from start of first group to end of second group of peacock eggs is approximately the total days for a Muscovy egg to hatch. I have not extended their natural brooding time. I can't put scovy eggs in now because that would be starting a new cycle of 35 more days.
Three ducks have been sharing nesting duties and I know they each go out for food and water every day. The ducks don't actually hatch the eggs because I remove them as soon as they pip and they finish hatching in the house. The first year I did this and left the hatching eggs with the ducks, the peachicks were killed by the ducks almost immediately.
After this second group of peachicks hatches next week, I'll be back to collecting all the eggs and discouraging nest making.
20210705_153422.jpg

Wish I had a better picture but it was like trying to round up toddlers. Yes they normally are under a heat lamp, but I turned in off to avoid the red hue that shows up in photos.
All less than 12 hours old. Amazing. I enjoy chicks and ducklings but have to say peachicks are the funniest.

The male (pictured)is a blue shoulder. Most hens blue shoulder split to white, and one black shoulder. It is like my fluffy Muscovy ducklings with one male being all white and the other black and white, and the females of a variety of colours. Won't know what they'll look like as adults until it happens.
1625519070224.png

Back
Top Bottom