using the tub for a brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crystal94040, Sep 5, 2007.

1. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    We have 2 bathrooms in my house and I was just planning on using my big roman tub for the 6 chicks due to arrive next week. Do you think this will work well?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    For a couple weeks at least - once they start hopping and testing their wings, you may need to make a wire cover, or move them elsewhere or you'll have them all over the place!

3. crystal94040

crystal94040 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    I have an old play pen I was also thinking about using....hmmmm.
    Maybe if I line the playpen with a shower curtian?

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Old play pens are very popular to use as brooders. I use vinyl tablecloths that have the felt lining. That way it stays put and I can just toss the whole thing in the washer when I'm done with it.

If you use the tub get some of those rubber bath mats to put down to give the peeps good traction.

The biggest challenge is providing enough warmth, once you've got that resolved either one should work really well.

5. Corey NC

Corey NC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    North Carolina
    When one of our females is having puppies we put her and her puppies in an old playpen with the bottow lined with cut open trash bags and towels on top. I am sure you could do the same with the chicks just use shavings instead of towels.

6. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    make sure the bottom of the tub is not slick it can cause problems with thier legs

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2007
  7. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

They might get stinky after a couple of days. [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It should work. I'd go with the play pen though. It would suck to get junk stuck down the tub drain... like shavings or what ever you use for bedding in there.

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:I agree, I wouldn't keep them in the house. I keep them in the garage in cooler weather and in a screened porch on the back of the house during warmer weather. Unless you are constantly cleaning up after them you'll start to notice the smell.

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I start lots of chicks on my garden jacuzzi tub and it works well and allows for easy cleanup. After placing the plug in the drain, add about 3-4 inches of shavings and a heat lamp hanging from the ceiling. Works like a charm for about 2 wks until they start flying out. Please keep in mind that they do produce a LOT of dust in 2 wks, so be prepared for a heavy duty cleaning and keep the door shut to hold the fluff in the bathroom. Here is a pic of some notorious bathtub babies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by