Using the Two Nail Restrait System for Chopping...{I need help}

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Wolf-Kim, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Okay. I know this probably comes up quite a bit, but I did do the search and got a ton of result. I read through several fairly long threads and still couldn't find what I wanted. LOL. This is why I labeled my subject title the way I did, that way the person who uses the search method after me, can find what they want.

Can someone give me the details of how to make the two nails/screws for restraining a bird for the chopping method?

Do you use nails or screws?

How far apart do you place them?

How long of nails/screws to use?

How deep do you put the nails/screw into the stump/board?

How do you properly position the bird into this?

Any pictures you happen to have would be helpful as well, for those visual learners like me.

Thanks
    -Kim

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  2. newdock

newdock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    British Columbia
    I use this method. I use two 3" nails and put them approximately one inch apart in a saw horse. I pound the nails in far enough that they are secure (about 1").

I get the bird I am going to process and hold it by it's feet and swing it gently back and forth. This seems to stun them a bit so they are easier to handle. They are also easier to handle if you do this at dusk when they are getting sleepy.

After a few swings, I lift the bird up and set it's neck between the 2 nails, pull down on the feet to secure it, and then remove the head on the feet side of the nails.

I then put the whole bird upside in a traffic cone or large funnel (the kind you buy at an automotive store to drain oil from cars) that I have bungie corded to the side of the saw horse. I usually put a small pile of wood shavings under the saw horse so that the small puddle of blood is easy to clean up.

Sorry, no pictures. Hope this helps.

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    That's fine about the pictures, you described how the nails were placed well enough. I really appreciate it. So many people talk about use the "two nails" and I wasn't sure how to set them correctly on the chopping block.

Thanks!

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by