Using VetRx, Electorlytes, ACV for Baby Chicks

Buzz.Cluck

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 27, 2009
Southern New Jersey
I am so frustrated trying to find info on VetRx - I see a lot of folks like it for adults but I can't find much info on using it for baby chicks (days old).

I'd appreciate thoughts on using this product with baby chicks (currently 5 days old) and/or mixing it in with drinking water that also contains electrolytes. Any potential interactions there? Too much at once?

Will giving them VetRx at a young age affect their natural abilities to fight off minor respiratory issues later?

Of course, dosing info is pretty much non-existent too. 1 teaspoon to 1 cup water seems like a lot to me for chicks. Should I half it or more?

Finally - and slightly separately - would ACV provide the same benefits as electrolytes, for the most part, and would ACV be better to use than VetRx, too?

Thanks folks - I always appreciate your opinions and advice - especially in situations like this where I can't seem to find the answers to my questions anywhere else.

I hate to answer a question with a question, but here goes...why do you want to give them the VetRX in the first place? If they aren't sick, they don't need it.
ACV has many benefits, it contains lots of great nutrients, staves off pastey butt, prevents crop issues and things like that. I'd stick with one or the other though, as it is possible to overdose them by adding too many things at once. If they aren't showing any signs of distress all your chicks need are warmth, clean water (with or without the ACV or electrolytes) and their starter crumbs. Good luck.
Nikki

Last edited:
X2, It's too much added stuff. I would not use VetRx on chicks at all, no reason for it if they are not sick. I use Save-A-Chick electrolytes just for a couple days, when they first come home. After that it's clear water only unless I start seeing any pasty butt's, then I'll add a little ACV to their water until it clears up.

Using VetRx on them now will have no effect whatsoever on their ability later in life to fight off respiratory disease.

I will do the ACV. I am not a fan of electrolytes but I do for 3 days the first week and then skip unless I see a problem.

I am getting a lot of pasty butt but if ACV will take care of that's great.

I was thinking of the VetRx because of the paste-up issue but I also have just one girl that twice has had a drop on her beak when I've inspected her. She seems a little more listless than the others but I think maybe I am just misinterpreting the fact that she's very calm compared to the others and doesn't seem to spook. There is a small chance that I happened to grab her just after a drink as I have not seen anymore fluid on her beak in the past day. She is not sneezing or raspy at all and is eating/drinking/pooping just fine.

I'll stick with the ACV for now. Thanks for the advice!

I didn't know that about the temp - thanks for that! It is warm but they are still piling up on each other so I was hesitant to bring it down. I'll drop it five degrees or so and see what happens. Things have cleared up pretty well now that they are a few more days old, too. I have one girl who cheeps when she's pooping but she's not blocked and her vent looks okay. I'm keeping an eye on her. Thanks!

I hate to answer a question with a question, but here goes...why do you want to give them the VetRX in the first place? If they aren't sick, they don't need it.
ACV has many benefits, it contains lots of great nutrients, staves off pastey butt, prevents crop issues and things like that. I'd stick with one or the other though, as it is possible to overdose them by adding too many things at once. If they aren't showing any signs of distress all your chicks need are warmth, clean water (with or without the ACV or electrolytes) and their starter crumbs. Good luck.
Nikki
My chick actually has an upper respiratory infection, I saved her from a dog attack, she was not harm but her mother and siblings were . So I don't want her to go due to a sickness.... so I was wondering since my babe really is sick, is it okay to use vet rx for her . Shes about 2 weeks old.. please help me . And please don't be upset with me, this is my first chicken ever, and i actually want to make sure she gets the best treatment necessary like any of my other pets

Back
Top Bottom